Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What about the Octavia ?

Options
  • 07-01-2006 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

Happy New Year to you all

Was wondering if anybody would share their opinion about the Octavia 1.9 /2.0 TDI DSG

Any major issues ?
    Cheers
    Vic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds pricey for an octavia until you look what VW and AUdi charge for essentially the same thing but with better engineered silicone damped grab handles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Another Octavia thread!

Mike.

wait for all the fans to come outof the woodwork to declare them the best car in the world and golfs are gay....... blah blah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 curieux2

mike65 wrote:
    Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Another Octavia thread!

Mike.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Don't buy a new one anyway unless you want to waste half your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

colm_mcm wrote:
    wait for all the fans to come outof the woodwork to declare them the best car in the world and golfs are gay
    Octavia is SO much better than those Golfs. Golfs are so gay. ;-)

Seriously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Octavia, and there's a lot right with it. Mostly though it's just a plain average car, reasonably well built, with a reasonable turn of performance, reasonable comfort, good space, inoffensive styling, neutral handling. The colour beige seems to suit it well :)

The best thing about it has been that such an average car was available for a below average price..

I've had one from new since June 2000, and I would get another. I have an Indesit dishwasher and I would get another. I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner and I would get another. The Octavia has about as much character as these other appliances - none. In fairness they generally don't pitch the car at enthusiasts - unlike VW, Audi and Seat with the vanilla Golfs, A3s and Leons which are absolutely identical to the Škoda in all but exterior styling and minor trim differences. These cars can only disappoint, as you pay a lot more for them.
    e.g. All 5 door, manual transmission cars
    VW Golf 2.0 TDI Sport 5sp. 31625
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Ambition 5sp 37145
    Seat Leon 2.0TDI S 5sp 31600
    Škoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Elegance 6sp 29045

Note that the Octavia is usefully roomier than all of it's sisters. You also get more kit as standard. Is a nicer "premium" badge and a slightly better body really worth €8100? That €8100 could buy you a really nice Citroën DS, which has a much sexier body than any of them.

If you want any character in any of these cars, you need to go for the performance variant. The 200bhp Octavia RS (31990) is reportedly a faster car and a better handler than a Golf GTI (35935). Unfortunately, the rumour is that the DSG is not available in the RS in Ireland.

BTW: From what I have read, the DSG is certainly worth having, even at the €1900 premium.

Regarding resale value, my 2000 1.6 Estate has an average price on CBG of €10,000. So let's say I can get €9000 for it (i've been offered 10 on a trade in). I paid €19000 for it in 2000, so that's 53% depreciation over 5 1/2 years, or €1800 per year. Or €0.15c per mile. As far as I am aware, that is perfectly acceptable depreciation on a new car.
    By contrast a 2000 1.6 Audi A3 is about €12500 on CBG, so let's say €11500. The new car price of the A3 1.6 in 2000 was €25000. so over the same period/mileage, the A3 will have lost 54% of it's value or €2500 per year €0.21c per mile. So while the depreciation rate is approximately the same (half it's value over 5 years) this costs you 30% more in the Audi. And bear in mind the only REAL difference is the badge and the shape.
    The story is the same with the Golf - it's worth exactly the same as the Škoda, but cost you €2500 more in 2000.

Lastly, note that you are more likely to get a discount from a Škoda salesman than a VW or Audi one. I couldn't get over VWs unwillingness to do a deal when I looked at a Golf. Wouldn't budge an inch on price.

Hope this helps. Note: I am not a Škoda fan. Nor am I an idiot who will pay for a badge.

Seriously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Octavia, and there's a lot right with it. Mostly though it's just a plain average car, reasonably well built, with a reasonable turn of performance, reasonable comfort, good space, inoffensive styling, neutral handling. The colour beige seems to suit it well :)

The best thing about it has been that such an average car was available for a below average price..

I've had one from new since June 2000, and I would get another. I have an Indesit dishwasher and I would get another. I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner and I would get another. The Octavia has about as much character as these other appliances - none. In fairness they generally don't pitch the car at enthusiasts - unlike VW, Audi and Seat with the vanilla Golfs, A3s and Leons which are absolutely identical to the Škoda in all but exterior styling and minor trim differences. These cars can only disappoint, as you pay a lot more for them.

Note that the Octavia is usefully roomier than all of it's sisters. You also get more kit as standard. Is a nicer "premium" badge and a slightly better body really worth €8100? That €8100 could buy you a really nice Citroën DS, which has a much sexier body than any of them.

If you want any character in any of these cars, you need to go for the performance variant. The 200bhp Octavia RS (31990) is reportedly a faster car and a better handler than a Golf GTI (35935). Unfortunately, the rumour is that the DSG is not available in the RS in Ireland.

BTW: From what I have read, the DSG is certainly worth having, even at the €1900 premium.

Regarding resale value, my 2000 1.6 Estate has an average price on CBG of €10,000. So let's say I can get €9000 for it (i've been offered 10 on a trade in). I paid €19000 for it in 2000, so that's 53% depreciation over 5 1/2 years, or €1800 per year. Or €0.15c per mile. As far as I am aware, that is perfectly acceptable depreciation on a new car.
    By contrast a 2000 1.6 Audi A3 is about €12500 on CBG, so let's say €11500. The new car price of the A3 1.6 in 2000 was €25000. so over the same period/mileage, the A3 will have lost 54% of it's value or €2500 per year €0.21c per mile. So while the depreciation rate is approximately the same (half it's value over 5 years) this costs you 30% more in the Audi. And bear in mind the only REAL difference is the badge and the shape.
    The story is the same with the Golf - it's worth exactly the same as the Škoda, but cost you €2500 more in 2000.

Lastly, note that you are more likely to get a discount from a Škoda salesman than a VW or Audi one. I couldn't get over VWs unwillingness to do a deal when I looked at a Golf. Wouldn't budge an inch on price.

Hope this helps. Note: I am not a Škoda fan. Nor am I an idiot who will pay for a badge.

yeah that's the kinda pro-skoda stuff i mean!

According to the Sunday Times, the average car loses just under STG£2000 per year for the first 3 years of it's life. That's about €9000 over 3 years. My Škoda has lost €10000 over 5 1/2 years, so I must say I don't agree with Junkyard on this one. I wonder how much the M5 loses per annum?

Let's see. New car price in 2000 - €100,000

This one on CBG for €36,950. So that's 63% over 5 years, or €12,600 per year or €1.30 per mile.

I don't doubt it is worth every penny. :)

you can't compare UK depreciation fogures with Irish ones, it's a completely different market.

colm_mcm wrote:
    you can't compare UK depreciation fogures with Irish ones, it's a completely different market.
    Sure, but is it 40% different? The Škoda is probably more popular here than the UK (pro rata).

• Advertisement

what Skoda do you drive?

Also bear in mind that the average car in the Uk costs less than the average car here, and that the biggesty depreciation is in the first year, after 3 years it levels off hugely

colm_mcm wrote:
    what Skoda do you drive?
    er, an Octavia 1.6 Estate (see lengthy diatribe above)? And drive is too kind a word. Use as transport.

er, an Octavia 1.6 Estate (see lengthy diatribe above)? And drive is too kind a word. Use as transport.

sorry! i tuned out after "The best thing about it has been that such an average car was available for a below average price.."

but i have to laugh at Audi A4 1.6 drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Decent contribution there ^^^^, DS20
    an average car was available for a below average price..

Sums it up quite nicely. Nothing to add except that the boot of the hatchback Octavia is the same size as the one of my 7-series and much more practical at it

Octavia owners are generally so happy that in a major customer satisfaction survey it has been voted family size car of the year for the last 5 years in a row

which survey was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,315 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've been in a few of them used as taxis (not sure what model). Seemed nice enough ride wise.

the rear of the old model is very harsh, front is very comfy though

Slightly off topic but regarding depreciation on BMW's anyway, I bought my 2000 530d touring in 2003 for 33k and sold it for 36k fourteen months later. I bought my M5 for 50k and have a cash buyer for it if I want to sell it for 45k three years later so I not disappointed as regards depreciation. I think in general if you buy a car with good spec., a good brand name and low mileage you have the best chance of getting value for money. It also helps not to keep the car for too long, a year to a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

colm_mcm wrote:
    which survey was that?

I think it was JD Power. The Octavia has won numerous other customer satisfaction surveys too and not without reason
    junkyard wrote:
    I bought my 2000 530d touring in 2003 for 33k and sold it for 36k fourteen months later. I bought my M5 for 50k and have a cash buyer for it if I want to sell it for 45k three years later

:eek: You did exceptionally well. Fair play to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

What's Bad
    Still a Skoda in the eyes of the golf club secretary. Looks like a Passat with the back wheels in the wrong place. Early LHD examples understeered heavily and late models can still be frightening in icy conditions, especially TDI with its heavy, torquey engine. 180bhp RS has only a 5-speed, not 6-speed gearbox and not as good to drive as SEAT Leon 20VT. Power loss on TDI 110s down to same problem as on Golf Mk IV. VAG acknowledges a fault with the ECU (038 906 018 BM) and specifies an upgraded unit (038 906 018 GQ) at £695.00 + VAT. According to VAG technical, this problem will eventually occur with all ECUs of the 'BM' part number. 1.8 20v engines are snapping their timing belts at 70,000 - 80,000 miles and the extensive damage this causes is not repairable. The car will need a replacement engine. 1.8 20v timing belts are difficult to replace. 1.8 20v timing belt drives waterpump and early engines had a plastic impeller which is prone to failure. If it jams, belt comes off and engine is wrecked. TDIs also have waterpumps prone to failure, but driven by an auxiliary belt so not so much of a disaster. 1.8 20Vs also suffering problems with air mass sensors which cost around £200 to replace. All 1.8 20V turbos built from around August 2001 to October 2002 can suffer from failure of one or more of the four ignition coils, which lead to a dispute butween VAG and a supplier and a severe shortage of coils from November 2002 to January 2003. Intermittent power loss on TDI 90s and 110s may be due to one of the following:- sticking turbo due to dirty oil; dirty or faulty mass airflow sensor; exhaust gas recircularion solenoid valve sticking open; wastegate valve actuator rod sticking; faulty throttle switches; faulty temperature sensor; loose or leaking brake servo pipe or turbo boost pipe from fuel pump to turbo; faulty ECU. Also rear windows can fall off their rails into the doors. 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines have plastic timing belt tensioner rollers which can shatter after about 40,000 miles. These are now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, Zod. Standard VAG bulletin.

junkyard wrote:
    Slightly off topic but regarding depreciation on BMW's anyway, I bought my 2000 530d touring in 2003 for 33k and sold it for 36k fourteen months later. I bought my M5 for 50k and have a cash buyer for it if I want to sell it for 45k three years later so I not disappointed as regards depreciation. I think in general if you buy a car with good spec., a good brand name and low mileage you have the best chance of getting value for money. It also helps not to keep the car for too long, a year to a year and a half.

Ah but you were talking new. Personally I don't think I'd touch a second hand Škoda, for fear it had a bunch of slappers throwing up in the back of it every saturday night on the way home from the Garda club. If i'm paying good money in the second hand market I'd look for something interesting, with a bit of character and some effort put into the design. Like an Alfa 156.

no chance a taxi driver would buy a 156 anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 curieux2

Thanks
    I was looking at the A3 but can't afford to pay so much more for the badge:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

Had the opposite experience last week. A new Skoda dealer in cork who made *NO*effort to sell me a car. In fact the salesman stayed stacking shelves and was generally obnoxious.

It compares with before chirstmas when I was with a relative who bought a Passat from the VW dealer in fermoy.Salesman was fantastic. He basically said he had a 10% margin to play with, and wanted to sell a car no matter what.

you can't judge an entire brand on one salesman

A lot of car sales people are abnoxious, go into most main dealers and if you don't look the part they won't even look at you. Its bloody bad bussiness in my view considering some of these car salesmen were selling fridge freezers in their last job. If they worked for me I'd fire them on the spot for treating customers like this. Some of the most unlikely looking customers have turned out to be some of my best customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    you can't judge an entire brand on one salesman

No, I plan on buying an Octavia, just not there. :)

that's true. but you have to accept that a huge number of people test drive cars with no intention of buying them, or ask for a value on their used car, again with no intention of buying. salesmen can recognise these people a mile off, Granted, mistakes will sometimes be made. I try to give the same standard of service to everyone, and everyone at least deserves to be treated politely and with respect - but it is hard sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

maidhc wrote:
    Had the opposite experience last week. A new Skoda dealer in cork who made *NO*effort to sell me a car. In fact the salesman stayed stacking shelves and was generally obnoxious.

It compares with before chirstmas when I was with a relative who bought a Passat from the VW dealer in fermoy.Salesman was fantastic. He basically said he had a 10% margin to play with, and wanted to sell a car no matter what.

You need to think that the VW dealer was trying to fill his yearly quota, so had to sell the car, Skoda dealer didn't. Still shocking IMO

Imagine my surprise when a valeter for a large Dublin VW/Audi dealer to help a customer with an A4 Cabriolet as the salespeople were all busy at the time (I was in the showroom for a few minutes for work). The customers were delighted to have me talk to them, and I believe they bought aswell

Advertisement