Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird noises from PC

Options
  • 07-01-2006 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

What's the deal with small buzzes and hisses from PCs?

You know when you move the mouse when your speakers are turned up, that grinding white noise. I've also reciently replaced a few components in my pc (mobo, PSU, HD) and I get this low volume, high pitched tone when the processor is working on something.

What causes these noises and how can they be eliminated?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That happens with onboard sound there is interference, on my old rig if my speakers were on and i scrolled with the scroll whell i could here it:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

conzymaher wrote:
    That happens with onboard sound there is interference, on my old rig if my speakers were on and i scrolled with the scroll whell i could here it:confused::confused:

I certainly agree with the above answer!

When I used the onboard...anytime I'd move the mouse I'd hear it...so I got a cheap Sound Blaster Live card and absolutely no noise now!!!

Mobo onboard sound is pretty bad in terms of quality!

The DFI Lanpaty boards come with a small 8 channel soundcard that clips in nearl the PS2 ports I hope it sounds as good as it looks when i get my board:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

cool, I think I've got a SB live card bangin about, might throw it in.

Any thoughts about the high pitched tone that co-insides with CPU activity?
    it doesn't come from the Speaker but from the case, because its tone I can't localise it more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

conzymaher wrote:
    The DFI Lanpaty boards come with a small 8 channel soundcard that clips in nearl the PS2 ports I hope it sounds as good as it looks when i get my board:)

it wont :(

As onboards go its good but mine still got interference as described above.

• Advertisement

it wont

:(:( I will have to drown out the noise with Gunfire in COD2:D :D:D

When there is CPU activity it gets hotter and the fan speeds up, that could be the noise, Or if you have a small chipset fan they spin up to around 7000rpm on load:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Spacedog wrote:
    cool, I think I've got a SB live card bangin about, might throw it in.

Any thoughts about the high pitched tone that co-insides with CPU activity?
    it doesn't come from the Speaker but from the case, because its tone I can't localise it more than that.

I got that aswell, no idea what it is. I thought it was my psu, but I just tapped it a few times and it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Dman_15 wrote:
    it wont :(

I dont get any interference... i used to on my old board like when i close a page it would make a noise lol

mp3guy wrote:
    I got that aswell, no idea what it is. I thought it was my psu, but I just tapped it a few times and it stopped.

hmmm, intresting, tapping my PC tends to disrupt the sound for a short time, my new mobo has a heatsink instead of a board fan, replaced my video card with a passive heatsinked one also, only moving parts left are PSU and CPU fan, I'll try changing out the PSU and see how we go :)

Happy Days, installed an old SB live and an ancient PSU from an old PIII machine and all is working perfectly, not a peep out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement