Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lend me your Inspiron 5150 for 20 mins?

Options
  • 07-01-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

My dell inspiron 5150 laptop will no longer charge, it seems to be a problem with the charger socket on the motherboard. I am looking for ways to start the laptop and backup the data that is on it.

Would anyone be willing to let me use their inspiron 5150 to charge my battery? I would of course offer a nice reward for doing this. I am locate in dublin city centre, but will travel.

Does anyone have a charged dell battery for sale? The model number I need is BATDWOOL.

Alternatively, does anyone have a broken BATDWOOL inspiron 5150 for sale? I only need it to charge the dead battery that I currently have.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have you tried to use the laptop with the battery removed? It should work ok just on mains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gavinjoyce

Hagar wrote:
    Have you tried to use the laptop with the battery removed? It should work ok just on mains.

The problem is with the power socket on the laptop - it will not power the laptop or charge the battery. What I need is a way to power the battery so that I can take off some data that I need.

Sorry I misinterprted your post it thought the charger socket simply wasn't charging the battery. Have you checked out the power lead itself? Is there any possibility that the trasformer is bunched? If so you could charge up the battery with a generic transformer while the laptop was switched off. If you try this be careful of the polarity on the connector.

Hagar wrote:
    Sorry I misinterprted your post it thought the charger socket simply wasn't charging the battery. Have you checked out the power lead itself? Is there any possibility that the trasformer is bunched? If so you could charge up the battery with a generic transformer while the laptop was switched off. If you try this be careful of the polarity on the connector.

The power lead is working fine, I have also tried a second power lead on the laptop. The power conenctor on the laptop is hosed.

I thought about charging the battery using a transformer, but the connection is quite small. There are also 9 pins . I have searched for a document describing what these are, but have come up blank so far.

If you are really stuck the HDD will fit into those portable 2.5 inch USB external drive cases. You could then download your data via usb to another PC.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    If you are really stuck the HDD will fit into those portable 2.5 inch USB external drive cases. You could then download your data via usb to another PC.

Thanks. I am going to try that. Do you know where they are stoked in dublin? I will try peats and maplins.

Not sure, either sounds like a good bet. Sorry I can't be more help but I'm not in Ireland so I'm not too well up on who has what in stock. Maybe you could borrow one from a pal for an hour or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have seen in both Peats and Maplins a thing called EasyIDE which allows you to plug in external hds (both 3.5" and 2.5"/with supplied adapter) via USB without having to mount them in an enclosure. Have my old internal ZIP drive hanging off one :)

It was about 2 months ago, and they were e32 in Maplin and e30 AFAIR in Peats.

D.

Nice one Daz

dazberry wrote:
    I have seen in both Peats and Maplins a thing called EasyIDE which allows you to plug in external hds (both 3.5" and 2.5"/with supplied adapter) via USB without having to mount them in an enclosure. Have my old internal ZIP drive hanging off one :)

It was about 2 months ago, and they were e32 in Maplin and e30 AFAIR in Peats.

D.

I picked up an enclosure called Swift-Case in peats for 25 yoyos.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

if you are stripping your notebook, are you selling the adapter?:eek:

Enright wrote:
    if you are stripping your notebook, are you selling the adapter?:eek:

Perhaps, although I always thought that selling bits off old computers was too much hassle.

Anyway, I am going to open the laptop and try and fix the problem first myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm having a similar problem with my Dell laptop, but replacing it isn't an option, $$$ wise. Is it possible to get the power connector repaired, or should I just mourn my loss and buy a decent pen?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ho.. no no - i'm not falling for this again!

Lent my laptop to this guy before... and BAMMMMM!.... cancer!

I'm onto you! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

basquille wrote:
    Ho.. no no - i'm not falling for this again!

Lent my laptop to this guy before... and BAMMMMM!.... 6 years later cancer!

I'm onto you! :eek:
    :D

It could be a dry joint or dodgy connection on the laptop. Did it go suddenly or gradually get worse ? - does wiggling the cable help ?

Will have a look at a caffined inspiron ( users :rolleyes: ) to see what like inside - some of them had a separate power board.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

For those looking for replacment power jacks, try this crowd.
    I've ordered off them before

http://dcpowerjack.com/hp.php

Advertisement