Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Normal" number of intrusions blocked by Zone Alarm?

Options
  • 07-01-2006 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone fill me in as to what is a "normal" figure for intrusions blocked by Zone Alarm? I re-installed Windows after formatting my hard drive recently, installed AVG free and Zone Alarm immediately, but soon found some "STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION" pop-up ad annoying me every so often.

Currently downloading Hitman Pro 2 to sort out any potential spyware problems, but I've noticed that the number of "intrustions" blocked by Zone Alarm is huge (currently at 2655 and rising by almost 1 a second). Obviously I shouldn't be concerned at blocked intrusions, but I'm just worried that something may be up with my system or that one or two problems may seep through the cracks.

All help much appreciated as ever,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

1) Did you update windows also?
    2) Were you on the internet before installing avg or zone alarm?

The large number of intrusions and it continually going up might be the result of a blocked service. The service / program is still running sending out requests but zone alarm has blocked the response. Check the log file to see what is actually being block. Try clearing the list of blocked items and blocking them again as you go, you might be surprised what you blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I did update Windows, yes. And I'm pretty sure (positive, in fact) I installed AVG and Zone Alarm before enabling the connection.

That was perfect advice, thanks, I think I was blocking the "Services and Controller" app and thats what was doing it.

Does anyone know about syscntrl.exe? Should it be unblocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Does anyone know about syscntrl.exe? Should it be unblocked?

I'M pretty sure that's a Trogan make sure your antivirus is current and do a full scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cheers, ironically just re-installed windows and formatted both hard drives.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Acording to this site its a trojan. http://www.superadblocker.com/definition/syscntrl/

There were a number of other search results returned by google indicating something along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Well is it number of intrusions or number of smb broadcasts on your local switch, or ip scans. They aren't that unusual. If you are connected to eircoms network you will get pulverised without a firewall. Zonealarm can be a little paranoid at time, i used it for many years at home.

If you really want to know whats going on, packet snif your connection over a hub, we do it in work and it can be great to find out exactly whats going on. You can identify viruses and trojans trying to spread from content of how they try and connect

Advertisement