Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Point

Options
  • 07-01-2006 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

What did eveyone think of this?

I went to see it today, I missed the first 10mins or so but followed it fine and really enjoyed it. The main actor, Jonathon Rhys-Meyers, was on The Late Late show tonight talking about it.

It's directed by Woody Allen and the likes of Scarlett Johansson and Emily Mortimer also star.

Pat Kenny described it as a 'steamy' film. Your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I enjoyed it a lot.

It was much better than Allen's last attempt at a more serious drama as it did contain some elements of humour. I found Interiors to be unbelievably dull.

My only problem with Match Point is the fact that it covers pretty much all the same ground that was covered by Crimes and Misdemeanors, and I found Martin Landau's character in that to be far more interesting that Rhys-Meyers' character in this.

It also had some elements similiar to Closer... but I found this worked a lot better. I hated the way the arguments were writen in Closer... they just felt so unnatural... But I could relate a lot to the relationship arguments in Match Point.

I've never much cared for Johanson in the past, but I think she did a good job in this... and she looked pretty good in the 'steamy' scenes.

Oh.. and I don't know why they cast that guy out of the yellow pages adverts... he was truly awful as the police detective... It was cool to see some of the League of Gentlemen in it though.

I think they are also making a mistake in how they're selling this film... the trailers seem to make it come across as a sort of Fatal Attraction type of film... but it's really not like that at all. A lot of people who were in the cinema with me seemed to have been extremely bored by the film... I found it riveting on the other hand... it's actually like a Dostoyevsky novel.

Advertisement