Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight edge clamps

Options
  • 06-01-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get clamps like these here in Ireland or even what they are more commonly called? here is a link to what I am on about http://www.ptreeusa.com/allinoneclamp.htm

Thanks in advance!:) :):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Axminster in the UK have them...

axminster

I'd also say that the routing center in Dublin would have them,... or maybe McQuillans, maybe Maginn Machinery around the corner from The Routing Center or Woodworkers.ie...

Hope that's of some use
    joe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

cheers for that! Exactly what I was on about! Was in B&Q today and saw the trend ones! they wanted over €40 for a 400mm(Think it was 400mm) one! What a rip off! Everything in there is way overpriced!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I bought the largest Trend one in B&Q in October for 69E.

An excellent tool at any price

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

ya they look really good but the ones on the axminister site are cheaper and do the same thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

But how much will it cost when you convert and postage.

Curious

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Some info on Axminsters prices..

They charge £9.99 for delivery... and it usually arrives in three days.

It depends on your circumstances... I'm a business customer and purchase VAT free, in Ireland I'd get the VAT back on purchases but only on particular dates, it's sometimes handier just not to pay it... (£8.51 delivery VAT free)

Not all UK companies are happy to sell VAT free (although they're supposed to)... Tooled-Up.com is one of them, they were recommended above... they do have good stuff though for non-business customers.

The other thing is that if you're very busy it can take three or four hours to drive into Dublin city to get something, maybe they won't have it, usually it's more expensive, I personally can never find parking for a van... all in all it can be handier getting it posted...

I bought one of the Axminster clamps, good for drilling holes at a fixed distance from an edge on a drill press or crosscutting panel goods... one problem I had was that the scale wasn't zeroed with respect to the edge of the FIXED clamping jaw, didn't seem to be any possibility of fixing this....

There's also a great Axminster product for drilling pocket holes, I've used one an awful lot and there's no sloppiness at all, I saw a Trend jig which was very sloppy (and unuseable). This jig makes it easy to quickly produce very strong custom cabinets.
    Axminster have good prices on perform router bits, I've never had any problems with them, check out the end of line offers for some alright deals...

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement