Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for first laptop

Options
  • 06-01-2006 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

First laptop!

I only know for definite that I'll be using it for the next five months.
    Price range: Up to €1000 (it's a Christmas present from a price-conscious parent).
    Intended use: Laptop for college. Internet, email, word processing, various programs (I'm in final year).
    DVD writer important.
    Wireless: Oh yes. 802.11g (apparently 802.11b is slower with a worse signal).
    Hard drive space:
    Mobility: Will use it for college.
    Brands: Avoiding Acer, Advent, Packard Bell, Fujitsu-Siemens, Dell. HP, Toshiba, Compaq and Sony were recommended here.
    Tv-out: Not really all that important.
    Buying abroad? I don't plan to be going any further than Europe any time soon - apparently Germany's cheaper but again I'm not sure I'll be there.
    Processor: At least 400Mhz needed.

Recommended by a friend (who is well into laptops so may be more than I need)
    Processor: Mobile processor for longer battery life. Someone mentioned that Celeron is to be avoided.
    PCMCIA Slot: Apparently I need one of those.
    Memory: 40GB plus, again recommended by a friend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

IBM Thinkpad...........guarantee............once u bought it......u wont need another laptop till the day u die.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Add another €89 to your €1000 and you can get a Sony Vaio, FS315E.

Advertisement