Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what laptop??

Options
  • 06-01-2006 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!But I need help and advice on this
    my sons girlfriend has decided to buy my son a laptop for his birthday,
    and wants me to pay for half,ok fair enough.But the problem is she wants
    what I think is an expensive laptop, inspirion 6000.I can get a dell one through
    my job for €599 but she says they are c##p. Now my son really only uses
    my pc to install and play games and online poker (expensive business to be in):mad:
    so can anyone suggest what would be a decent one and not to expensive
    P.S. the Inspiron is €899
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Which games does he play? (Check PC for a list..)
    And would you say games are a priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Karoma wrote:
    Which games does he play? (Check PC for a list..)
    And would you say games are a priority?
    yes games are a priority,fifa 2006 ,fifa manager o6,age of empires,
    age of mythology nothing really fast like car games etc.
    Thank,any help at all appreciated as I dont want to spend money
    on something that wont be used properly if you understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Those games are fairly recent and unfortunately require a reasonably powerful 3D graphics card. This will push up the price of the laptop considerably. A minimum requirement is a dedicated 3D card with at least 64MB of memory: some of the inspirons use an ATI X300, which is not a great performer is modern 3D games. An X700 is better, or if you're looking at a machine with an nVidia card go for something with a 6600 or above. Dell have a factory outlet store and sometimes auction machines on ebay under the handle "dellfactoryoutlet". You might save a few euro buying this way.
    You could also consider getting him a small form factor PC if he's able to assemble the components himself. This way you can pick and choose which 3D graphics card to install and the system can be upgraded at a later date. Of course, it doesn't have the same portability as a laptop. Some examples can be seen here: http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11253&CategorySelectedId=11253&PageMode=2

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Darwin thanks for the info I will see what ebay have on the delloutlet site
    my son wouldnt have a clue how to put components together I know more
    about pcs then he does and that should tell you something,anyway I reckon
    you are right about the high specs this laptop will have to have in order to
    play these games so I suppose not gonna be as cheap as I thought.
    I already bought him all those games for xmas now he wants a laptop
    to match!! :mad: JESUS 25yr olds today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

valerie, you have my sympathies...my 30 year old brother is still living at home - I think it will take a stick of dynamite to get him out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement