Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 06-01-2006 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This could be the wrong place for this, so feel free to move it where you see fit.
    I am trying to get insured, its my first policy, and I am amazed at how expensive it is.

I am 24, female, I live in DUBLIN 9. and I have a provisional license.
    I have a 1995 suzuki swift, the engine is just under 1 litre.

Last novemeber I was quoted €780 fully comprehensive by Mike Murphy Insurance, but I failed to take the policy at the time (couldn't afford it before xmas) and I called them again yesterday, they quoted me €997!

How did the quite increase so much? Why? All my details are the same now as they were two months ago.

Can anyone explain the increase?
    Should I try bargain them down?
    How does it normally work?
    Can anyone suggest an insurance firm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Is that you in the picture.

When it comes to Insurance they make it up as far as i can see.

Id say your premiums would be less if it was a newer car is there would be a better safety record for the newer car.

My Insurance premium went down when i upgraded my car from a 94 to 99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

hi,
    to be honest in my opinion that is a reasonable price to pay for a provisional young driver
    I was in the same situation as you about 5 years ago, i was 22 , provisional license, bought a 1.1 litre ford fiesta for 2800 punts and my insurance was a whopping 2500 punts 3rd party for 1 year
    in the past few years the young drivers first policy has come down some what ,i am with the same broker as you got the quote and to be honest they were the best priced at the time
    the only other option i can give you is to shop around via the internet or else contact Hibernian insurance, in the past while, they have been boasting about helping young drivers and if you complete a driver ignition course wiht them ,they will knock a percentage off your premium
    I have no knowledge of how the course work or how much discount they off ,but it is worth checking it out
    Oh how i wish 5 years ago i got a quote like yours,i am driving 6 years now and have a 03 ford focus 1.4 and my insurance is 1100 euro fully comp

Best of luck with the insurance hunt !!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

kluivert wrote:
    Is that you in the picture.
    I wish, its Kelly Brook!
    I am just surprised that the quote went up by €200 in such a short space of time.
    Before Christmas I shopped about and average quote was around €800, not the average quote I am getting is €1000 and I just can't figure why as none of my details have changed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

if i were you, i wouldnt be complaining about the increase in amount, at least youre still under a grand. I have to fork out just over 2grand for mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

€997! oh my word, my heart BLEEDS for ya!:rolleyes:

My first years insurance was 4000 euro...

I really don't mean any offence by this but be ****in thankful to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

My insurance two years ago at the age of 24 with 2 years driving experience in my mums name on a €200 renault19 was €4600

Thats a very good quote you got there and i wouldnt be complaining about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

cynos wrote:
    My insurance two years ago at the age of 24 with 2 years driving experience in my mums name on a €200 renault19 was €4600

Thats a very good quote you got there and i wouldnt be complaining about that

€4600 for a renault 19!!!! - I was complaining about €600 for a 3 litre. I'd better shut my mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

€600 on a 3 litre?????
    What age are you 60? with 40 years NCB?
    What 3litre? nissan 300zx?Supra?

cynos wrote:
    €600 on a 3 litre?????
    What age are you 60? with 40 years NCB?
    What 3litre? nissan 300zx?Supra?

Merc E300-36 years old-No claims ever-clean full licence-Dublin address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Silly - if you ask them they'll claim that it's a mixture of inflation and all the accisents over the Christmas, etc etc etc. Excuses to make more money!

Count yourself lucky - I've been driving 13 years, had my full license 12 years, and have had my own insurance claim free for 7 or 8 years. I'm just gone 30, drive an 8 year old 2 litre car, and pay just over €800.

My first insurance all those years ago cost me £1,700 (€2,159) 1.9 diesel (non-turbo) 10 year old Peugeot 405 estate!

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    Silly - if you ask them they'll claim that it's a mixture of inflation and all the accisents over the Christmas, etc etc etc. Excuses to make more money!

Count yourself lucky - I've been driving 13 years, had my full license 12 years, and have had my own insurance claim free for 7 or 8 years. I'm just gone 30, drive an 8 year old 2 litre car, and pay just over €800.

My first insurance all those years ago cost me £1,700 (€2,159) 1.9 diesel (non-turbo) 10 year old Peugeot 405 estate!

Re NCB - I think the maximum allowed is 5 years regardless of how long you are claim free.

This could be the wrong place for this, so feel free to move it where you see fit.
    I am trying to get insured, its my first policy, and I am amazed at how expensive it is.

I am 24, female, I live in DUBLIN 9. and I have a provisional license.
    I have a 1995 suzuki swift, the engine is just under 1 litre.

Last novemeber I was quoted €780 fully comprehensive by Mike Murphy Insurance, but I failed to take the policy at the time (couldn't afford it before xmas) and I called them again yesterday, they quoted me €997!

How did the quite increase so much? Why? All my details are the same now as they were two months ago.

Can anyone explain the increase?
    Should I try bargain them down?
    How does it normally work?
    Can anyone suggest an insurance firm?

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the age of your car. Last November your car would have been ten years old whereas this year it will officially be eleven years old. Maybe there is a big jump, in insurance terms, for a car more than ten years old, i.e. it's given a different rating. It's just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Litcagral - I think you're right, but some websites ask for a higher figure than 5 when you apply online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the age of your car. Last November your car would have been ten years old whereas this year it will officially be eleven years old. Maybe there is a big jump, in insurance terms, for a car more than ten years old, i.e. it's given a different rating. It's just a thought.

Silly,

Looking at your example, I think this could be it. I know some insurers prefer younger cars and the age of 10 seems to be a magic figure for some of them. Whereas others seem to set 15 years as the older age.

Out of curiosity if you told them the car was one year younger, would the price be different? (BTW I am not suggesting you do this for insurance fraud, just to see if it makes a difference. You must declare your correct specifics on your policy)

As for the other posters suggesting that your lucky with such 'cheap' insurance. Maybe, but everyone's situation is unique and you are not in the situation where you a) are looking for insurance back when quotes of €4,500 was the norm or b) male. So I can understand why you feel the increases perplexing.

As for lady drivers insurance, I think there's more options for female drivers. Here, Eagle Star pitched themselves as friendly towards female drivers. Don't know if this is still the case. Anyhow, Mike Murphy Insurance has probably tried all the options for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Re NCB - I think the maximum allowed is 5 years regardless of how long you are claim free

I think AXA will offer upto 7 year discount but T&C's apply and it only applies to 3rd party policies. I would imagine that the number people with 7 years NCB on a 3rd party policy is quite small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

silly, ring a broker and ask them. theyll bring back the cheapest quote. im with ladys plus, royal and sun alliance. 1500 tpft, on a 99, 1.6L car. have my provisional 1 1/2 yrs, same ncb. im 19. this is my first policy.

LundiMardi wrote:
    €997! oh my word, my heart BLEEDS for ya!:rolleyes:

My first years insurance was 4000 euro...

I really don't mean any offence by this but be ****in thankful to be honest...

Well I am completely broke at the minute (me and the rest of the world:p ) so they could quote me 200euro and I would probably still struggle to pay it, but my question was more to do with the big increase, jumping 200euro in the space of two months.
    It could be because my car is that bit older alright, I never thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They usually load the premium a bit once a car is over 10 years old. Once the new year passed, that's another year onto it.

Did you keep the quotation number for the first quote?? I'm not sure if there is a time frame in which you must take up the offer or not. Worth a shot trying to initiate the pre-Christmas quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

cynos forgot to mention how much of a little joyrider he was back in his hay day!! :v:

• Advertisement
Advertisement