Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the market for a 2nd hand laptop?

Options
  • 06-01-2006 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wanted to post this here in the hope that someone out there in the market for a laptop (if you're browsing this forum you might be...) might be able to help me. Apologies for the cross posting (also posted in For Sale forum).

I'm sorry to say, that within a week of being back in Dublin (Xmas week),for the first time in over a year, my fairly new laptop - a 15" grey HP Compaq Notebook - nx7010, 60gig HD - got nicked off me when I left a bag briefly unattended in an internet cafe. But I'm determined to put up a fight to catch the c**t trying to sell it - somehow I don't think the person who stole it is interested in doing up their c.v. on it. My faintest hope is that they will try to sell it in Buy And Sell or Ebay or some other medium and get some easy money.

So I've decided to tell everyone that will listen that if they do hear of anyone selling a second hand HP laptop, they can have the chance to do the right thing. I'll happily pay €200 reward, perhaps more, for it - I had hundreds of digital photos and tonnes of music, both of which aren't entirely backed up - not to mention of course, the cost of a laptop. I figure most people are honest and would prefer not to be helping some scumbag make a profit - most of us have had something nicked from us in Dublin - god knows I've had a few bikes stolen. I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm damned if I'm not gonna make some effort to get it back. So if you do think you might know someone trying to flog this, my email address is declanobrennan@gmail.com. I have more detailed information to prove it's mine, if it comes to that.

By the way, the internet place was called Wired and it's Parnell st. and despite that fact that, as the guy working there told me, stuff is always getting robbed, their CCTV cameras are only for show and they don't actually record the footage. Sound. I'm checking out the garda camera footage on Parnell st and any other private CCTV footage available.

Thanks for reading this far,

Declan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

maybe you should give a spec sheet or something if you can, whatever you remember. Just to help narrow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Any identifying numbers or marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Karoma wrote:
    Any identifying numbers or marks?

well I've got the product and serial numbers but I don't see much point in giving them out. People are hardly going to take a note of them. If they even remember to watch out for a HP Compaq nx7010, which is the model name that is clearly visible on the casing, they'll be doing well, I reckon. And if they see one of these for sale 2nd hand, I'd be extremely surprised if the p/n and s/n didn't match mine. So in short, I'd have my man and I'd be able to prove it myself.

I don't suppose that these identifying numbers are stored somewhere on the BIOS or, even better, sent across the internet when the machine connects up? I guess not, that would raise serious issues of privacy etc. Ho hum.

-Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

report it to garda station with case serial nos, theres a small chance they might find it.they collect loadsa stuff on raids etc,then after a year they auction it all off.cos most people dont bother report thefts ,unless its their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Also for future security go to http://www.stealthshield.ie

They have resonably priced products that are used to trace stolen laptops, high success rate...

Head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

yea, i saw that site a whle ago & bought their software but wish i'd waited 'cos now they've got a cheaper version called Lojack. :(

Advertisement