Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders in Sligo

Options
  • 06-01-2006 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

What do you all think about the recent shooting wars and murders in Sligo? I think it is going to continue and there will probably be another shooting before this year is out...
    Do you think CCTV on the town streets will be helpful? I have my doubts.
    Myself, I live relatively close to the town, but I'm glad I don't live close to Cranmore...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

your right madge ps do u know manorhamilton

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Indeed they will continue, knacker infested town. Was a mile away from the last shooting when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

knacker infested town
    Unfortunately, a major nationwide phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

yes they seem to have to many rightS you cant sAY ONEBAD WORD ABOUT THEM WITHOUT BEEN DEEMED RACIST OR ANTITRAVELLER ALSO HOW COME THEY DONT PAY THEIR TAXES AT THE ENDOFF THE DAY ITS .US THAT HAS 2 MAKE UP FOR IT AND NO IM NOT ANTITRAVELLER I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH THEM AND WAS FREINDS WITH THEM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

offensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

What happen of one of us real people gets caught in the cross fire?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shamrok wrote:
    Unfortunately, a major nationwide phenomenon.
    None in galway city at all, wahay. Have only seen one or two in the last two years.
    munky wrote:
    What happen of one of us real people gets caught in the cross fire?
    you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Madge wrote:
    What do you all think about the recent shooting wars and murders in Sligo? I think it is going to continue and there will probably be another shooting before this year is out...
    Do you think CCTV on the town streets will be helpful? I have my doubts.
    Myself, I live relatively close to the town, but I'm glad I don't live close to Cranmore...
    Has there been more than one murder in recent months? I checked the Weekender website and I found the story of Sam Smith (R.I.P.) but nothing else. Of course, the two gun related murders in the last 8 months are two too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

None in galway city at all, wahay. Have only seen one or two in the last two years.
    Hmmm...the Galway ones don't venture out of Tuam, perhaps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

the shooting it has to be said is disgraceful. I remember the last shooting that happened outside of EJ's. That victim was a daddy and from what i have been told a decent guy (this was from people who knew him and his partner and child).

But the point i want to bring over was i see a couple of posts regarding rights, being friends with them, knowing them etc. Everyperson has the same rights as the next. There is laws that govern everyman woman or child who inhabits this country. the point that has to be said is that it is hoffific that someone was killed and that there is a killer outthere.

I heard an interview on the radio about a family in dublin where two of the sons were killed in gangland activities. There were "known to the Guards" and were bad eggs, but here is the point, this year a father and mother lost two of their sons.

No matter who is hurt at the end of the day they have family, their are kids who have no fathers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Glad I live in Dublin......Oh wait:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scinny

why did you (nanook) only decide to call what angelofdeath said offensive tonight and not when he wrote it?

edited: i deleted this post because i dont want to have any more involvement in this than i have already had, i have nothing more to say on the subject

scinny, no one made any point of it untill now. I have always had the idea everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    untill now the statement was not offensive, but then you reared you head and brought the PC brigade with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

scinny wrote:
    why did you (nanook) only decide to call what angelofdeath said offensive tonight and not when he wrote it?
    Have to agree with nanooks thoughts. Its an issue that is always going to be topical with a mixed bag of opinions and we all have our own opinions on the matter.

Welcome in any event and keep the posts coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peckster

nanook wrote:
    scinny, no one made any point of it untill now. I have always had the idea everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    untill now the statement was not offensive, but then you reared you head and brought the PC brigade with you.

i have to agree with scinny how can you (nanook) say the statement was not offensive till now?

peckster wrote:
    i have to agree with scinny how can you (nanook) say the statement was not offensive till now?
    Does it make any great difference as to when he decided. It is either offensive or not.

Im lost a bit here as to why you are bringing this matter up. Can you explain further please.

Welcome aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

*To the OP

Yes theres been several murders in Sligo but these were mostly between fueding family's, which to most people is nothing to worry about as we'll never have any contact with these families...

As for the boy killed a few weeks ago, (the boy who opened the front door and was shot twice) <--- not sure if family fueding ??
    But this kinda thing isn't as common as family feuds...

Its allarming to hear of the amount of killings going on, but I pass no heed, as all I entend on doing is keeping my head down and out of trouble while I'm here in Sligo...

You have to remember that the bigger the town/city the more crime there will be, there is no avoiding it...
    Worry-ing about such things is pointless...

peckster wrote:

peckster, read what i wrote, it speaks for itself, no one complained untill scinny, then again, scinny was being a pratt in his post so i decided to clean up.

So what is your opinion on sligo and the murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

a few families giving the whole town a bad name

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    peckster, read what i wrote, it speaks for itself, no one complained untill scinny, then again, scinny was being a pratt in his post so i decided to clean up.

can you explain in what way i was being a prat, you also say that everyone is entitle to their opinion but when i gave my opinion you edited it, i take it you are a friend of angelofdeath.. also when you do become a daddy then you will know how precious a child can be no matter what their age.

muffler wrote:
    Does it make any great difference as to when he decided. It is either offensive or not.

Im lost a bit here as to why you are bringing this matter up. Can you explain further please.

Welcome aboard

the reason i am bringing it up now is that i read the first post and i was waiting to be registered, i thought what angelofdeath said must have been very upsetting for a family who have just lost there youngest son as he wrote.... (Edit by muffler..................................................)after all i thought it was very offensive as he is calling them knackers and deosnt know this family at all. and it took nanook about 3 weeks to write offensive on angelofdeaths post.

Edited by muffler:That particular statement which I have deleted was quoting what was stated by angelofdeath and which has since been edited and deleted

nanook wrote:
    can you explain what you mean by ; you reared you head; and brought the pc brigade with you.

nanook wrote:

well i couldn't complain sooner about the post as i wasn't registered in time. and as i said to muffler what angelofdeath wrote would have been a very offensive message towards the family who had just lost there youngest son as he wrote Edited by muffler....................where is his compasion for a family who are grieving.

Edited for quoting from offensive post

edited: i deleted this post because i dont want to have any more involvement in this than i have already had, i have nothing more to say on the subject
    you should have made an apology after all people are grieving for their loved one and you called them knackers just a week after he was murderd

peckster wrote:
    the reason i am bringing it up now is that i read the first post and i was waiting to be registered, i thought what angelofdeath said must have been very upsetting for a family who have just lost there youngest son as he wrote................................................after all i thought it was very offensive as he is calling them knackers and deosnt know this family at all. and it took nanook about 3 weeks to write offensive on angelofdeaths post.
    GLAD TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO THINKS WHAT WAS WROTE WAS VERY VERY OFFENSIVE.... THANK YOU PECKSTER

Edited by muffler: quoting from offensive post which has been deleted

lets keep this simple.

Scinny, pc brigade. all you have done is point out so far that someone refererred to persons as a group of travellers. You have questioned why it was left for so long in order for the offensive remark to be removed.
    The remark was only deemed offensive since you past judgement on it, as is your right, and from that point it was edited. Angel of death had no problem with the editing but it seems you do.

I will make it simple, it was not edited untill it was pointed out that you found it offensive.
    Your reply was threatening, i see you are able to quote the origional post so i would ask to please quit as you are creating work for the mods who seem to have to moniter your movements.

Peckster, you stated you would have complained soon but didnt register on time, not my fault you are unorganised, it does not take 3 weeks to register here.

With regards to posts dictating to ppl on what they should or should not do, this will not go down well with the mods.
    So as i breath calmly I will ask everyone to remember this is a discussion group, think of it like we are sitting in the pub have a chat.
    Next one to start a fight, I dont mind a heated debate but not dictatorship, gets the door.

If anyone has a problem with edits and delete's, you can discuss with the mods here or you could pm us.

Please stick to the topic

scinny wrote:
    you should have made an apology after all people are grieving for their loved one and you called them knackers just a week after he was murderd

hold on a sec, what do you mean a week after he was murdered, the only murder i heard about was months back on the news, something about a family feud

the flippant comment i made wasn't based on any knowledge of the people involved, i've had experience with travellers before and not good ones, so once knackers were mentioned in the thread i made a kneejerk response

the reason im not apologising is because of some off boards happenings that i'm not going to post about here, but i pm'd scinny about them, if he feels like sharing then fine

i am with Angel on this one. there was no mention of a death in general. The original post was made as a reply to existing comments and had, to the best of my knowledge, no reference to any happenings or persons.
    It was a general comment and not aimed at anyone in particular

Scinny, this is just a question, are you connected to any greiving families in sligo??

• Advertisement

Right lads. I can see this whole topic degenerating into a personal war of words or at best an interrogation session which is just not on.

Everyone is entitled to comment or give their opinion on the topic itself and I would be delighted to see more and more posts coming this way but providing they are "on topic". A good healthy debate is refreshing.

To be honest I suspect some underlying current here and if this is the case then the boards will not be a party to it.

If there are any more posts that are considered to be way off the mark then we will have to shut shop on this one.

Advertisement