Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Crap!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Also a 20 inch laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

And finally the 30"FPW soooo hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sooo... take one Pentium 4 ("Extreme"?), add four nVidia GPU's; then let Dell build it... and what have you got?

A load of hot air! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Its pre-overclocked, so must have put a faster fan on there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

What's the craic with Quad SLi tho? Am I reading it wrong?

I think they are using 7800GTX 512MB but the spec on the Dell website says its gonna have 1GB video memory. If there are 4 cards that should be 2GB no? or are they talking about new cards with two cores and 512MB in a 2 card SLi. :confused:

Course it doesn't matter a sh**e anyway cos they are only gonna be available in US and
    I wouldn't buy a DELL ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Love the paint job.
    Any idea how much we're talking about here?
    Or roughly how much would it cost to build a similair spec system?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I think they are using 7800GTX 512MB but the spec on the Dell website says its gonna have 1GB video memory. If there are 4 cards that should be 2GB no? or are they talking about new cards with two cores and 512MB in a 2 card SLi.

Unfortunately SLI cannot currently share ram so it still has only 512mb of vram, unless they gave each core 512mb of ram then it would have 1gb of vram

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Fook nice out of the box pc even if its a Dell!

The current Dell XPS shi* is around €3000, this thing will be around €6000 i think, you could make a better one for €2000;)

AFAIK 4cores with 265mb per core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

h8red wrote:

I think they are using 7800GTX 512MB but the spec on the Dell website says its gonna have 1GB video memory. If there are 4 cards that should be 2GB no? or are they talking about new cards with two cores and 512MB in a 2 card SLi. :confused:

Course it doesn't matter a sh**e anyway cos they are only gonna be available in US and
    I wouldn't buy a DELL ever again.

4 cards (gpu + 512meg ram) in SLI == power of 4 gpus minus SLI overhead and 512Meg of framebuffer.
    You don't get 2gig of video ram. Each gpu has to have it's own local cache of the data required to render the whole scene.
    Aside from having an entire graphics subsystem board with unified memory controller and the gpus being spun off into discrete sockets, there isn't really any other nice (and practical) way of doing multi gpu in a desktop machine

Pity about the case. It's "meh" w.r.t. looks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

surely they'll offer an alternative case for people with taste.

<edit> loving the concept and design of the XPS mobile though, when my SSIA matures it could be number one on the list

WOW its signed by Michael Dell, I want one now:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

sionnach wrote:
    surely they'll offer an alternative case for people with taste.

I don't think you quite understand, that's a see through acrylic case they have. The computer's just on fire...that isn't a special paint job.
    Seriously though, the heat produced in the machine is going to be huge. Plus the design on the cards is not brilliant at all, the second GPU is way too far back. They'd have to have a decent exhaust system in place to keep those things cool.
    Not to mention the amount of power it's going to need. 600w minimum sound about right?

Clever them announcing the 30" screen aswell, as that system would need something like that to get your value's worth of money out of it.

I think the cards have an external power brick each like the new ASUS dual 7800gtx 512mb

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314963&cks=PRL

And Dell claim they are the first to do it and ASUS done it weeks ago, ASUS even had a dual 6800 ULTRA 9 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That is going to be so cpu limited you would be better off with 2 7800gtxs overclocked with a fx57 at around 3.2-3.4.

Or a opteron 170 overclocked to 2.6ghz that would put an "extreme edition" to shame

Came across that Asus card yesterday alright, although it's actually a 7800GT with 2 GPU's as opposed to a GTX. So I think Dell may be the first, haven't seen any dual GPU GTX's around.

Krazy's right though, CPU is going to be a bit of a bottleneck. Although I can't say I wouldn't like to play Far Cry and HL2 on a 30" screen..:)

Bloody hell...

Despite this being just a "This is what we can do if we want" thing, I'm still mightily impressed.
    ATI are going to have to pull a really, really big fluffy rabbit the colour of sound out of their hat to reclaim the ground.

X1900's are on the way, but Nvidia still have the G71. Looks like Nvidia's won this round...yet again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement