Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in UL?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Headin back to UL after a long absence - been on work exp & away on Erasmus for the last year. Trouble is, I'm broke, properly broke! So I'm looking to get some sort of work near UL, part time, just to have a decent income while I'm in college.

I used to come home to work at the wkend but fcuk that now, pain in the hole having to travel and having to live at home all wkend.

The course I'm doing doesn't have many hours so anything goes really. Any suggestions? Anyone worked while in UL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ive seen the SU shop looking for people before. I assume they give dynamic hours because students ahve worked there before while studying, so keep an eye out for any signs.

Ive seen a lot of students working in Storm Cinema in the evenings too. Have you tried the stables? The possibilities are endless...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thomsan scientific, flexi time and you only have to do 8 hours a week whenever suits you (open from like 8am to 7pm or something like that), but you can work as many hours as you want if you are stuck for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Where's Thomsan Scientific - presume it's in the Industrial Estate near college?

yup it is, and they just fired a few people so they might be hirin, its really near the lodge actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Vegeta wrote:
    yup it is, and they just fired a few people so they might be hirin, its really near the lodge actually

why were they fired do you know?

• Advertisement

Not sure, my mates work there and they were just talking bout abuse of the system. Not working there myself I didn't have a clue what they were on about!!! Sorry dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Also if you get desperate theres always Chawks. They are permenently hiring but I hear the hours can be a bit nasty

I think, I think I got a job. Not sure yet, but the Castletroy Golf Club seem vaguely interested. So where is it, what's the fastest way to get there, and has anyone been there?

They're on the golf links road, turn left at the traffic lights near spar, what would ya be doing there

Vegeta wrote:
    what would ya be doing there

"working" in the bar

• Advertisement

cool i didn't even realise they had a bar, i'd say its fairly quiet now as they're doing up the course so you could be in for easy money if ya get in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

If you play your cards right you could end up earning more from tips then from the wages. Friend was working in the bar in Adare Manor and he said that he would earn €100 on a good day just from tips. so thats around €50 in reality :rolleyes:

I did go and work in the golf club, hated it (not my kind of people really), wasn't going to go back, but now I can't anyway, because the course is closed. They did pay me for my one night stint there though, all of €65, which wasn't bad, especially as the tips were pretty ok.

I'm keeping the tie though.

Anyway, still waiting on Dunnes (not a good sign) but they do have a job for me. Apparently they give you a lot of hours which might not be a great thing either.

The Post has nothing much really, but if I don't get something soon, I'll have to start trying at home again :mad:

So just wondering (sorry for the long post) if anyone has heard of jobs going ... anywhere? :confused:

Part-time, obviously. Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Vegeta wrote:
    Thomsan scientific, flexi time and you only have to do 8 hours a week whenever suits you (open from like 8am to 7pm or something like that), but you can work as many hours as you want if you are stuck for cash

I worked there a few years ago when I was in UL, it was very handy because they were based beside the Schuman building but as far as I know everything has now been moved up to Hamilton House. Work is dead boring though - basically spellchecking scientific journals that are to be published on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 grizi

saw a sign up in Dominos near the Lodge with "WE'RE HIRING" in big letters, not sure if it's full/part-time though

got a job in smyth's / the icon, thought i was being hired as a barman, but now apparently i'm some sort of security camera guy. all i have to do is film fights if they happen. bit strange really, basically involves standing around all night. still it's money in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

hoody wrote:
    got a job in smyth's / the icon, thought i was being hired as a barman, but now apparently i'm some sort of security camera guy. all i have to do is film fights if they happen. bit strange really, basically involves standing around all night. still it's money in my pocket.

it does sound a bit strange really, but it still sounds like a handy enough job, unless of course the fighters don't like being filmed and take it out on you. you should get your friends to act out fights, wrestlemania style, jumping off the railings of the dancefloor and everything

Advertisement