Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad injuries, how did you come back?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm really i nthe pits with golf at the moment and heres my story.

Back in September playing a soccer match I landed bad on my ankle damaging seriously the muscles and tendond in my ankle. I ws on crutches for a while and had some serious rehab etc. I was out of both soccer and golf for 2 months. My ankle still troubles me to this day.

I have absolutly 100% forgot to swing, its terrible, before my inuury i had set goals i knew what i wanted and where iwas going....I had the perfect swing for me that was comfortable and consistent, during the summer months of june,july,august over 80% of my rounds wer ein the 70's (stat taken from golfnet)

since returning in lat october ive failed to break 80 =( Failed to break into the 30 point mark.

I have jsut started up a golf team in my colelge (nci) and I need to be aplying good golf if i wish to make the team.

Anyone got any help or suggestions or stories of how you overcame injury =( I feel like crying.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Time always helps.

Three years ago, I had sorted out a lot of things in my game (power ain't everything!). And had finally come close to perfecting a reduced backswing, I was playing what I can only call savage golf! I was going around consistently around the 75 mark off a 12 handicap. I had just been cut to 11. And BAM. I was a yard off the fairway in semi rough. And hit a stone the size of a golfball that was hidden under it. Not a problem normally, except I was hitting a 90 yard wedge shot that was gonna stop second bounce... As I walked up to the green my arm and fingers started turning numb. The result: Dislocated tendons, ligaments, torn muscles in my forearm, and worst of all an injury similar to 'skiers thumb'. The end result after MRI scans, bone scans, physio, cortozone injections, was that time and a decent physio helps with most of it.

I had leave of absence for 2 years and started back playing last year. Oh it's not even funny what you forget, but while my hand ain't perfect yet, i'm starting to shoot similar scores to where i left off, 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

3 years =( o man im fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

@Doc The original goals that you set out for yourself for the year
    were set assuming that they were in your own destiny.
    Unfortuneatly your injury took that destiny away.
    Maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself to
    keep these goals on target.
    Work on enjoying the game again and your scores will improve.
    Reset new goals that are maybe more attainable.

WEll todya I went up to the driving range at the airport practising fro fridays college game against ashbourne.

I have to say my ankle gave me little trouble and I was striking the ball like I used to, with my slight fade, I'd say 70% of the balls I hit went wher eI wanted them to go. So I am extremely happy.

But I'm still jared about my drivers.

I own a Taylor made 540 and a Titleist 975jvs

The taylormade has really being changed and chopped to suit me with 4 different grips, 3 different shafts the works.

I jsut find i hit them kinda the same =/ Going to try sell one off, if anyone interested anyways, ill probably post up a thread about them soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Doc it's not what you want to hear but if you're having trouble with your swing then it's time to come up with an alternative and the only way to do that is go to a decent pro, work with him on a swing that will keep as much pressure as possible off your ankle, also you'll need to rehab it very well, don't cut corners by starting back on certain things too quickly give it time to heal, if you were as good as you said when you're ankles 100% it won't take long to get right, but i would suggest once you're cleared to visit the driving range maybe twice a week just to work on what they call you're muscle memory( ye know when you practice your're perfected swing so much that it's like second nature to do it without even thinking,)
    have faith it'll come right

• Advertisement

yeah i hope things go well for me =D

When i first cmae back from injury i played a few games with a swing that kinda compensated for my ankle, looking back it was s tupid idea cause that swing is still kinda etched into my head, though today i realyl idd feel like the old me striking some good solid irons.

I know a few pros and coaches so ill give em a bell maybe in the coming months. I just have to HAVE to play well this friday if iwant to get onto this colelge team permenantly, dont wna jsut be secretary =(

well good luck anyway, if you're playing your irons well thats a good sign,
    fingers crossed you do well on friday, with everything you've gone through you could do with a little bit of good luck for once.

A im over the moon my fear about the college team is kinda over. Today my NCI colelge team played aShbourne senior cup team in a friendly challenge match. I off 10 wa pitted aginast a guy of 6, and it was off scratch so statistically he shoulda whopped me considering i havnt shot well since coming back.

But I had a consisten 4 and 3 victory and felt confident and playing well the whole day. Couldnt beleive how well i played, i think i hsot 80 which was grand.

So i guess i was jsut getting paranoid. I'm pretty much a good figure on the team now, and thrilled wih my game and getting single figues by summmer is a real reality.

Booooya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

A im over the moon my fear about the college team is kinda over. Today my NCI colelge team played aShbourne senior cup team in a friendly challenge match. I off 10 wa pitted aginast a guy of 6, and it was off scratch so statistically he shoulda whopped me considering i havnt shot well since coming back.

But I had a consisten 4 and 3 victory and felt confident and playing well the whole day. Couldnt beleive how well i played, i think i hsot 80 which was grand.

So i guess i was jsut getting paranoid. I'm pretty much a good figure on the team now, and thrilled wih my game and getting single figues by summmer is a real reality.

Booooya!
    after you get down to single figures, you should learn how to spell;)

Well I typed that after having a long day of drinking and smoking the good stuff,

Sorry we cant all be Mr.Harverd. =/

• Advertisement

ok looking back on the post i did type like a 3 year old retarted kid, but i was whacked so cut me some slack....

congrats doc as a returning player and an nci graduate i'm delighted for both you and the college team :)

Cheers mate, god your a great guy for the ol cheerup =D women could find you very useful =P

yeah but for all the wrong reasons. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

Well I typed that after having a long day of drinking and smoking the good stuff,

And the biggest queers in the world are people who correct people spelling mistakes online, called typos when you type fast and kinda dont care but a little mistake cause people can still undertsand the word.

Sorry we cant all be Mr.Harverd. =/[/QUOTE
    you should lay off the chronic if you want to become a good golfer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Glad to see you are getting back to your best after such a nasty injury but make another homophobic remark in here and/or personally abuse another poster and you'll be permanantly banned...

pfff touchy, it clearly wasnt made as a personal offense, as you can read from the next post that slagged myself, and the smiley face he posted.

I dont like the horrible strictness on this forum ,I've lost how many times I've been banned for stupid rubbish.....

Admins take life way too serious...

all i'm asking is that you don't use homophobic remarks....if you don't like it here, don't post.

Perhaps if you didn't post stupid rubbish you wouldn't have been banned so many times.

It wasnt supid rubbish, but to warrant a ban was ridiculous..............

Though then it was probably abusive admins, as I here there are many here =/

You can believe whatever you want to. I think this is enough for now. Thread locked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement