Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cascading Style Sheets

Options
  • 05-01-2006 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place or not but i'll give it a go.

Can anyone that knows how to use CSS show me some tips or link me to somewhere where i can learn how to use it?

I'm hopless at making sites so i really need help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

http://www.w3schools.com/

Also, if you have any spare cash, I definately recommend this book from Sitepoint. I got it (and many others from Sitepoint) and they are fantastic. I was a complete novice with CSS (didn't even know what it stood for :o ) but now I can hand code all my sites with my eyes closed.

It's a great book.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

Best place to learn CSS and other markup languages.

Edit: beaten to it because of my crappy IrishBroadband connection ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mist

Thanks guys, just checked out that site and i realised we used it when originally learning HTML.

The CSS stuff looks useful, much appreciated ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Is CSS supported properly by Internet Explorer 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Is CSS supported properly by Internet Explorer 5?
    Nothing is supported properly by IE.
    But there are hacks to get stuff rendering properly on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

declan_lgs wrote:
    Nothing is supported properly by IE.
    But there are hacks to get stuff rendering properly on it.

Everyone tells me there much better than using tables but if they arent properly supported by IE yet whats the point seeing as how most people still use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Everyone tells me there much better than using tables but if they arent properly supported by IE yet whats the point seeing as how most people still use it?
    IE6 does most CSS stuff pretty good. If you test your site on it and other (standards compliant) browsers from the beginning you shouldn't have many problems. AFAIK all the placement (i.e. table-replacing) stuff is supported in IE6 and probably 5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

In fairness, it is quite simple to get CSS based layouts working on Firefox, Opera, IE6 and Safari. IE6 does have it's quirks, but it's mostly fixed by a simple workaround. The trouble begins when you include IE5+ in that. Thankfully, the Box Model Hack allows you to target CSS rules at IE5.01 and IE5.5 only.

I found the article Why Tables for Layout is Stupid: Problems Defined, Solutions Offered very useful.

Advertisement