Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Tv Ads

Options
  • 04-01-2006 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Remember the one on water saftey,protection of rivers on your land.
    It goes like this a family of four go to have a picnic with grandad.
    Grandad is in a wheelchair and is sitting near the river bank.
    The rest of the family are too busy having fun with the football to notice that Grandad has gone awol...into the river.
    One of the kids looks over and says "where's grandad gone?"

It wasnt funny back then but it brings a smile to me face these days..its so corny.

Remember the one "dad who's goin bringing the horse to France"?Was it dairy gold or something?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

hahaha yeah my mates dad used to work in Kerrygold so we used to slag him about that ..still he got me free tickets to the kerrygold dublin horse show ;-)
    we used to get those safety add videos in school the one about the kid who wonders into teh slurry pit - loevly viewing when your ten!
    They have some new adds like that now the one where the fella falls in teh construction site and that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

wideangle wrote:
    The rest of the family are too busy having fun with the football to notice that Grandad has gone awol...into the river.

It wasnt funny back then but it brings a smile to me face these days..its so corny.

Remember the one "dad who's goin bringing the horse to France"?Was it dairy gold or something?:D

Haha, wish I remembered that one, pure class. Grandad Noooo!
    I remember an ad about some kids playing with a kite around a pylon. The kite gets caught in the pylon, *explosion*, and bingo, cue the eighties horror synth sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I remember the kite in the powerlines one,and the kid in the slurry tank.There was another one about overhead powerlines while operating machinery such as farm forktrucks etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There's an ad that has always stuck in my head. When we were younger we thought it was hilarious!? Think it was for insurance...
    "I want to be a TREE" (some hippy dude),
    "I want to be a tomato" (some poor kid at a school play),
    "I want to be different" (a twin)

Also those easy singles ads. I dunno why but they always made a cheese and lettuce sandwich look so tasty... they way they'd make it and then theyd squash it together! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

That old one for Harp, with the guy reminiscing about the stuff he misses from Ireland. "Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you".

Always cracks me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Smells Like Sky To Me!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Larianne wrote:
    There's an ad that has always stuck in my head. When we were younger we thought it was hilarious!? Think it was for insurance...
    "I want to be a TREE" (some hippy dude),
    "I want to be a tomato" (some poor kid at a school play),
    "I want to be different" (a twin)

wow! i remember that one! I think it was for Halifax or some insurance company, quality stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Was that the one where the kid at the end says when I grow up Mam says I am going to be a proper little madam... She looked so like my sister we used to slag her about that all the time...I had forgotton about that thanks..:D

Or the Biscuit think it was kimerly or mikado ad "Im mister spring and Im mr Sprong" My brother used to love that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Shabadu wrote:
    That old one for Harp, with the guy reminiscing about the stuff he misses from Ireland. "Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you".

Always cracks me up.
    And y'could fry an egg on the stones here.

If you had an egg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

remember the clarks shoes add with the little girl trying to get the key from the witch of the woods or something....

"MAGIC SHOOOOOOOOES???!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

killswitch wrote:
    remember the clarks shoes add with the little girl trying to get the key from the witch of the woods or something....

"MAGIC SHOOOOOOOOES???!!!"

Yeah, there was woods and a waterfall if I remember correctly. I sooOOoo wanted those shoes, never got them. :( I just loved the fact there was a key in the sole of the shoe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Anyone remember a cartoon one about keeping an eye on what your dog is upto when he is let out?

the dog is let out and starts attacking sheep or something, then comes home and sits at the fire all peaceful and nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

i remember the safe cross code dog...not that one

another one i remember is the milk ad

"THEM BONES, THEM BONES NEED...CALCIUM...."

Anyone rembmber the ads for bass?

Yer man would take a sip, and say 'aaaahhhhh..... that's bass!'

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

killswitch wrote:
    i remember the safe cross code dog...not that one

another one i remember is the milk ad

"THEM BONES, THEM BONES NEED...CALCIUM...."

great ad, the shake and vacand mr muscle ones were good too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Remember these ones for Murphy's stout? Was done in black and white like The Seven Samurai. A bunch of samurai would rush into an old thatched cottage pub in full gear. Yell MUUPHY'S and then grab the pint in some wierd ass way. Many a pint was spilled trying to spin the pint like they did... As far as I can remember there was one where they all rush in, get their pints, knock 'em back and leave in a sec. Barman doesn't bat an eyelid. An auld lad goes: "Jayney, that was unusual." And the barman: "Yeah, they're usually not in 'till 3" Or something

wideangle wrote:

Yeah, same ad. the kid on the farm running along, banging a stick off a fence and the dad:"Oh yeah, Thursday was a good 'um... Whisht, do you hear Michael?.... Michael?" and there's Michael's legs sticking out of a rain barrell

Yeah, same ad. the kid on the farm running along, banging a stick off a fence and the dad:"Oh yeah, Thursday was a good 'um... Whisht, do you hear Michael?.... Michael?" and there's Michael's legs sticking out of a rain barrell

Ha ha! yeah. forgot all about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

They don't make them like they used too...do they?:cool:

And THEN to make matters worse, just in case poor auld granded had survived the fall into the river, they nail a bloody great big fence up to make sure he couldn't get out again!!!!!

• Advertisement

and the little pyromaniac grabs the matches from the fireplace shelf!!!!! Hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

we used to get those safety add videos in school the one about the kid who wonders into teh slurry pit - loevly viewing when your ten!

That used to freak me out ... still does .. even reading about it all the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up ... urghhh

Umm i would try and remember more but i'm too freaked out at the moment.

i remember the clarks shoes one now that was so cool all the girls wanted a pair cos they made you a princess or something god i had my mams head wrecked for a pair!

i love the add for memorex videos too where the skeleton dances and sings.

i love the add for memorex videos too where the skeleton dances and sings.

Re-Record, not fade away!.......

Re-Record, not fade away!.......

yay ! I was trying to remember what he used to sing allright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mate of mine stared in one of the ESB ones where he had to be aware of powerline when moving a goal post :D i swear to god , how often did people die that way:D :D usual thing where theres a mass of sparks and an explosion then cue my friend in classic loren green mode going "Nooooooo!":D

poor bastard still gets slagged off about it, doesnt help that his ma taped it and insists on showing EVERY new girlfriend he has it when they come over:D :D

Advertisement