Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patriot laptop??

Options
  • 04-01-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever heard of these - I think they are selling them in PcWorld and have a via processor or something ?? Are they any good ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea i was looking into one of these awhile ago, but a member or two here said that the processors were used in gps or something and werent very good, i think there a great price but still not sure as i was asking about this laptop too, so maybe some more people can shed some light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

the via c3 processor is mentionend at mini-itx.com for use in mini-pc/pvr type computers and the like because it doesnt use alot of energy and doesnt give off much heat - passive cooling alone can keep it cool.

Im thinking it would prob be ok in a laptop for the basics - ie surfing the web,work,etc. The laptop is 499 in pcworld, so v. cheap for a laptop

well if you buy, let me know how it is please:)

have you found anything else out about the laptop voxpop? do you any one who got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

voxpop wrote:
    Anyone ever heard of these - I think they are selling them in PcWorld and have a via processor or something ?? Are they any good ?

They're slow... really slow, and noisy. I bought one Sep 04 for e700ish. Handy enough for web browsing, very light work and watched a few DVDs, but too slow and noisy for much else. Also has poor battery life, about 90 minutes. Want to buy mine :D

In comparision for e699 14 months later, I bought a widescreen Sempron 2800+ laptop, much faster, quieter and much better battery (150+ minutes) - PCWorld are now selling them at e799.

Anyway, it does have good parts in it, the screen is good (albeit only 1024x768), the disk in mine is fast (but small), but the VIA CPU does let it down.

Ultimately I wouldn't recommend one unless you had no other options (i.e. nothing secondhand etc.), couldn't stretch beyond e500, and really really needed a laptop.

HTH

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Cheers for that dazberry - I've mostly ruled out the patriot anyway due to the 'unknown' factor, looking at Toshiba l20 (celeron m) for an extra 200 but at least I know what Im getting with the Toshiba.

Im suprised to hear the laptop is noisy - I thought the c3 could be passively cooled and so the laptop would be v quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Call_Me,Stan

dazberry, how much would you sell it for?
    I am pretty much described in that last paragraph of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Hmm... that's a tough one because I'd say it isn't even worth half of what I paid... let me think about it for a short while, I'll drop you a PM tomorrow evening.

D.

Advertisement