Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suzuki Jimny - Opinions

Options
  • 04-01-2006 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Girlfriend is thinking of trading up to a Jimny.Now i'm not too flash on cars let alone suzukis.So could anyone give their opinions on what its like to drive, handle,everyday use,first hand experience.It'll probably be 3 years old or more

All help appreciated,Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

To be honest they're cramped inside, bouncy on the road and pretty pointless. Tyres are pricey and they're fairly unstable on the road. If I was you I'd buy a nice car instead, theres plenty to chose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Got a lif in one of these a few months back. Awful yoke. Reminded me of the Daihatsu van of years ago (the one that looked like a small sliced pan). Too cramped inside, and not good on the road. Anyway, they look crap as well. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its simply a poor mans jeep! There will be grannys in mircas laughing at you whilst they are passing you out in 3rd! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Girlfriend is thinking of trading up to a Jimny.

What on earth could she be driving now, if she thinks that she would be trading up to a Jimny. They're a competant light off roader, ideal if you need off road ability but never need to tow. On the road, you'd be better looking for something else, anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're terrible to drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

agree with all the above. a good point just to give balance very reliable. I was wondering about the trading up thing too, what is she driving now ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I would be curious to know, how many Suzuki owners have posted here so far. Is all this negative feeling from suzuki owners, I suspect not.

She would be better to go for the Escudo, or 1.6 Vitara Lwb.
    They have an excellent electronic fuel injection system, economical, air conditioning, electric windows. The Suzuki 4x4 is rated as among the best 4x4 off roader. Handles excellently.

I owned an Escudo ( Vitara ) 1.6 petrol for 4 years, and it gave me 100k trouble free, reliable motoring, easy to service.

kadman

kadman wrote:
    They have an excellent electronic fuel injection system
    kadman

?

colm_mcm wrote:
    ?

???:confused:

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Rented a Jimney in the Canaries last year.
    Cramped inside.
    VERY noisy and unrefined.
    Felt quicker than it was.
    Quite impressive off road capability, however road tyres made it useless in mud, coped well with snow (yes in the Canaries - we were unlucky with the weather!)

Most serious flaw was very dodgy handling in 2- wheel drive. Rear suspension was was inclinded to bounce the car into on coming traffic as the springs unloaded exiting bends .EEK! Was far safer in 4 wheel drive mode, but still to be treated with care.

Not recommended.

• Advertisement

kadman wrote:
    They have an excellent electronic fuel injection system
    kadman

is there something special about the system they use. not picking holes or anything, just wondering what makes an excellent electronic fuel injection system, or what makes an average one. or how you can tell the difference

colm_mcm wrote:
    is there something special about the system they use. not picking holes or anything, just wondering what makes an excellent electronic fuel injection system, or what makes an average one. or how you can tell the difference

My experience of them is based on 4 year trouble free motoring . The EFI unit is easily accessible for servicing. It does not require stripping lots of components to get at it. All the multipoint injectors can be removed easily and quickly, if required. All the EFI body vacuum switches, hoses and leads are easily changed if needed , but seldom need changing. And the ECU engine codes for the efi unit are easily read on the dash of the car , so you dont need an expensive code reader for them.

So all in all that says it for me. Thats why I'm looking for another one.

kadman:)

kadman wrote:
    My experience of them is based on 4 year trouble free motoring . The EFI unit is easily accessible for servicing. It does not require stripping lots of components to get at it. All the multipoint injectors can be removed easily and quickly, if required. All the EFI body vacuum switches, hoses and leads are easily changed if needed , but seldom need changing. And the ECU engine codes for the efi unit are easily read on the dash of the car , so you dont need an expensive code reader for them.

So all in all that says it for me. Thats why I'm looking for another one.

kadman:)

the "EFI unit" isn't really an item that should need regular maintanance, but fair wnough if you've found a car you like

colm_mcm wrote:
    the "EFI unit" isn't really an item that should need regular maintanance, but fair wnough if you've found a car you like

Ahh...so now after loaded questions... you are going to tell me about efi's:D :D:D
    Good efi units , like the Suzuki, dont need regular maintainence, as you probably know. Good old multipoint injection...;)

Of course the crap single point and multipoint injection as fitted on ..lets say fiat, would not hold a candle to the old Suzuki.

Yep...thats what I like.:cool:

It's a Jap, so it's gonna be good! just would have a Rav4 every time (great variable valve timing!)

Advertisement