Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Media ram to MP3

• 04-01-2006 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anybody know of one quick easy and free way to convert Real Media (ram) files to MP3.

I've done it by converting to rm and then to wav, but that was slow and labour intensive.

The use I have in mind is converting ram files of BBC web radio downloads to MP3 files to listen to on the move.

help appreciated.
    boombang

ps this is the second thread identical thread I started, just to get maximum exposure, hope this doesn't piss anybody off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I do the exact same for BBC shows, afternoon plays and all that. I use a program called Real Audio Converter, it's not free but search for it. If you can't find it with Google, you should be able to get it via BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

thanks nitrogen.
    bb

If you can't find it, I can email it to you if you have a Gmail account. It's 3.5 MB. Let me know. I don't check the forums that much, you can find my email via http://www.bhalpin.com.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

How about using Audacity and recording realtime, Audacity then converts to MP3 for you, I do this from time to time

First things first, nitrogen thanks alot for the offer of sending me the file, i'm impressed at the generosity of a stranger.

Secondly, not to squash the idea of using Audacity , but I hoped to find a faster solution than a real time player, if possible. Although I am grateful for the suggestion webels.

To explain my confusion, when 'downloading' a program as a realplayer .ram 'file' onto my desktop, I thought the icon then on my desktop was a file that I could then convert, but it's not, right?!

It's a link to a stream, which then streams into realplayer. On way around this I read was to download the rm file (by opening the ram file icon using text editor, and using the address inside with a download program such as fastget) this rm file could then be converted to wav and then to mp3, but all of this took time and was clumsey.

I'll report how I get on with Real Audio Converter.

bb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 concobhar

Hey Boombang,

I've been trying to figure this out myself for the last couple of days and found this advice here on a blog

http://skysoblue.blogspot.com//2005/04/tips-of-day-12-converting-rm-to-mp3.html

doesn't look 100% legit though. Then again, I don't think it legal at all to convert Real Media files as they are owned by the publisher. Anyway, good luck with it.

Hi concobhar,

Thanks for suggestion, am looking at a number of things at the minute, and will report what I find to be the best for me when I know what I'm doing, but I'm taking my time over things.

Thanks again,
    bb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Boombang, how did you get on?

Use Net Transport to capture the RAM, then you have a RM. Then use Audacity to convert to a MP3. I don't think there is an easier way as it's not legal!

Would anyone know how to capture a SMIL? Most of RTE streams are in this format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

Following on from what Nitrogen said, I have used Net Transport myself and did the following "After installing Net Transport, you will need to first download the .SMIL file on RTE's website, open it with Notepad and find the RTSP link (eg rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2004/0312/12032004rte-todaywithpatkenny.rm), paste
    it into Net Transport and it does the rest" (this is taken from a website somewhere but cant find the original link). ---Then you gotta use Audacity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement