Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Help!

Options
  • 03-01-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

hey,

I'm trying to compile a project that was dwritten by somebody else, using their build file in ant, when i run it though i am gettgin 77 errors and beside one or two errors they all relate to vectors, treemaps, linked lists and hashmaps,

every error is either
    [javadoc] /Users/../Documents/DeNIS/src/ie/tcd/cs/nds/linehane/timeseries/TimeSeries.java:748: <identifier> expected
    [javadoc] public java.util.Vector<String> getFieldNames () {

or
    [javadoc] /Users/.../Documents/DeNIS/src/ie/tcd/cs/nds/linehane/plugins/tcp/TCPMessages.java:27: '(' or '[' expected
    [javadoc] msgs = new LinkedList<TCPMessage>();

or finally
    [javadoc] /Users/.../Documents/DeNIS/src/ie/tcd/cs/nds/linehane/plugins/tcp/TCPConnectionSet.java:23: '(' or '[' expected
    [javadoc] connections = new HashMap<Integer, TCPConnection>(5000);

each time it is pointing to the < as the error, why are these used, should they be used and how can i fix it. this program should compile but i am compiling it on my mac, when it was written for linux, but this surely shouldnt make a difference??

anyone have any ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Are you compiling it with the correct version of Java ?

That looks like Java Tempaltes wich is fairly recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

J2SE 1.4.2 comes preinstalled on tiger, whats the newest version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

Call_me_al wrote:
    J2SE 1.4.2 comes preinstalled on tiger, whats the newest version?

You need java version 1.5 also called Tiger, it is the first version to use generics the stuff that is giving you the error.

found it in tiger but how do i make terminal use this to compile instead of 1.4.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Make what terminal?

• Advertisement

terminal is the mac equivalent of cmd except its unix instead of dos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301073
    Once you set it there (Reboot if necessary) it should work system-wide.

Advertisement