Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civic Amenity Sites, Letterkenny

Options
  • 02-01-2006 8:16pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I'm basically wondering if anyone here is familiar with where the Amenity Site is supposed to be in St Conals Hospital.

I'm aware of the 2 sites in both the Lidl carpark, and Dunnes Stores carpark, but there is supposed to be one (according to both raceagainstwaste.ie and repak.ie) in St Conals carpark which allows the recycling of cardboard and plastic bottles (the other 2 only cover glass and cans).

I have driven around St Conals hospital and can't seem to find the banks anywhere in the carparks! So, I'm either blind, or the site was moved elsewhere?

Also, since I'm on this topic, does anyone know where I will be able to dispose of Christmas trees in Letterkenny? This might be helpful for others wanting to get rid of trees in their respective towns if it's known where the trees can be disposed of.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

There used to be a bottle bank in the car park for the public park.

You can give your christmas tree to the recycling centre, which IIRC is down in that industrial estate opposite Donegal creameries...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OK, thanks for that, I'll go in search there so. I think that area is called Ballyraine or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Couny Council are to open a civic amenity site in each electoral area ( 6 ). There is some form of EU regulations that compel each local authority to provide these facilities.

They have one opened in Carndonagh for a year or two and the one in Stranorlar opened a couple of weeks before Xmas. Its a great amenity to have. Fridges, TV's, plastics, bottles, bulbs, batteries etc etc can now all be disposed off there and it is free for the time being anyhow.

I heard on Highand radio recently that Pat the Cope has approved funding for another site in Dungloe and one I think in Milford.

Im not sure what the position is in relation to Letterkenny. They will certainly have a site in the near future but I know that each electoral area provide somewhere for disposal of Xmas trees at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

The waste disposal units at st conals used to be located in the carpark above the hostpital itself, continue on past st conals for about 100 yards and it's on the right, although i think i remember it was removed for some reason.

as for your tree, ive got a chainsaw :P

byte

Ah I see. I wish Repak would update their crap website then!

Driving past the Ballyraine Student Complex (beside that new roundabout that was never finished near Mt Errigal Hotel), I was sure I saw a row of bottle banks etc near the complex. I must take a better look tomorrow.

Muffler, where's the one in Stranorlar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Hi

The recycling facilities at St Conals were removed - there were so many problems - including certain Businesses being paid to monitor illegal dumping at them....thats a long story :rolleyes:

They were moved to the site of the OLD fire station on High Road - but as Planning Permission was never sought - it had to be closed!

Not sure on where its off to next....

Try out at Ballyraine - Letterkenny Skip Hire and Recycling - its a hole in the ditch entrance right beside the student accomodation.

byte wrote:
    Muffler, where's the one in Stranorlar?
    Its located just off the Mart Road between the mart and the CIE depot and down behind the Council's regional training centre.

They are closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

I think the opening hours are: Thursday 2.30 - 7.00
    Friday 8.30 - 2.00
    Saturday 8.30 - 2.00

byte

Thanks all for the replies

Miss Polaris, thanks for clearing that up, that place you mention in Ballyraine must be the place I saw this morning. It's basically a field, with a near invisible entrance just beside the roundabout.

byte wrote:
    Miss Polaris, thanks for clearing that up
    Good one byte:D

byte

Hahaha. I hadn't noticed that! And I still have loads of recyclables filling the house!

I think that place beside the student complex is just a storing area for recycle bins. I noticed a portacabin at the bottom of that "field" this morning though. Might call down some day and see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I think that is a private business and they recyle larger items. Not 100% sure though.

byte

Yeah.

For anyone who is interested (that's nobody then), Christmas trees will be recycled in St Conals carpark (up the very back).

Other tree depots are:
    Council Machinery Yard, Lifford
    Council Chip Depot, Newtowncunningham
    Civic Amenity Site, Stranorlar

Collection Points:
    Carndonagh
    Moville
    Buncrana
    Bunbeg
    Glenties
    Dungloe
    Falcarragh
    Killybegs
    Laghey
    Ballyshannon
    Bundoran

Further details I found in Letterkenny Post, p15.

Advertisement