Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking TV and Laptop

Options
  • 02-01-2006 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wondering what I need to be able to link my laptop to the TV or whether it is possible. Is their anyway I can take footage from the TV and save it and edit it on the laptop and if so what cables/software do I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Kinda having a similar problem myself.
    Does anyone know how to connect a sony camcorder directly to a laptop make a dvd with menus!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cayenne wrote:
    Just wondering what I need to be able to link my laptop to the TV or whether it is possible.
    Depends on the laptop - most models nowhave an S-video output. It is circular and has either 5 or 7 pins. Looks like a mouse port.
    cayenne wrote:
    Is their anyway I can take footage from the TV and save it and edit it on the laptop and if so what cables/software do I need?
    This is a different kettle of bannanas. You need a TV tuner card. There are loads of models available, you are most likely looking for USB. Try the Hauppauge range (I have the USB PVR2 model). They come with basic software.
    Redegg wrote:
    Does anyone know how to connect a sony camcorder directly to a laptop make a dvd with menus!?
    You could use the TV tuner card option, but a lot of Sony camcorders have a firewire port (as do some laptops). Look for the DV logo on the camcorder. If that is the case, you connect the camera directly to the laptop and a wizard will pop up asking if you want to transfer the video.

In both cases, editing video is not straight forward. Try out Microsoft Movie Maker. It comes free with XP and will give you an idea of what can be done. If you want to buy some software, I have used Ulead software - pretty idiot proof, can't remember how much it costs.

Advertisement