Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juggling As Exercise

Options
  • 01-01-2006 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people I don't exercise at all and I know that I should. Really juggling is the only physically intense thing that I do. Why? Cos' it fun! But I feel like I could do so much more with it.

I might buy some heavily weighted balls and a rola bola seems like it could enhance things. Also, I find doing 5 balls low/quickly really works your arms.

So do you guys have any suggestions? Do any of you use juggling as exercise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

no, but then again I cant juggle.. clowns do scare me though... evil evil creatures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 andrewg

When i have done this, i do the same thing: juggle low with 5 balls as long as i can, then juggle 4 and then 3. for as long as possible. I am not too good at juggling 5 though. my record is about 80 catches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Personally i think juggling by itself is not exercise as one its not that taxing on the ol system. Try mix your juggling with movement that might make it a bit more exercise like. Take up joggling maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Emmet is right, juggling is not really excercise. Take up a sport!

it is exercise, it can really work your arms, try juggling different ways to work your arms. yeah, going for jogs every once in a while wouldn't hurt while you juggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Stephenm

Dunnes Stores (an Irish supermarket) currently has 3lb (about 1.4Kg) balls at €4 each. I bought 3 and they are good fun and good exercise.

I think they are supposed to be used as weights for Yoga.

Careful using heavy balls you can strain your wrist quite easily with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I was thinking that handstands might be cool too, as a peripheral, for improved balance and arm strength. Any tips on handstand "tricks" or form?

Come to trinity when i starts back and i can give you a run through on how to handstand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

Hugh, how about juggling some of those cans of beer left over after the xmas. really good for the footwork, particularly if you do it barefoot.

heavy balls (or whatever) should only be used occasionally, like when trying to learn with an extra ball, it should prove useful by helping increase the explosive potential once you revert to the original weighted balls.

To increase the intensity of your juggling workout, try keeping your arms at shoulder level, either straight out in front of you, or out from your sides, and wait for the burn. or juggling more lower will do the trick too :) have you tried juggling while squatting on a rola bola? (mind the elbows!)

Damn thou Gravity, for thou art mine Nemesis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Personally I reckon a bit of poi helps me a little bit. I actually got a present of fire poi from my parents, and they're about 120grams each - I've christened them my "workout poi" (they're the heaviest set I've had to date). In the grand scheme of things, they're not heavy, but if you get a good swing going, you need some strength to control them... and if you work in some body motion, you also need to start working on those subtle muscles that keep you balanced and whatnot.

It's still trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I'm fairly sure it'd help.

Also, when I look at the professional jugglers (J've been lucky enough to be at a parade and a fundraiser event - not as a hired juggler, but as a costume performer), I have to say I've not seen a fat one yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Juggling as an exercise on its own is a bad idea. You only use certain muscle groups, which are built up, neglecting the others. It makes things very uneven. I've just discovered this the hard way, by a)returning to kickboxing after 2 years of juggling. my biceps are happy out, my triceps aren't. (damn press-ups, forcing my arms backwards!) and b) discovering i've built up too much muscle on my shoulders to happily fit into my fencing jacket these days (or maybe that was just xmas?!);)
    Its like going to the gym and only working on one machine.

Hi cat, see juggling is no good exercise

at least it is good exersize for the arms... i go running besides, and i unicycle, i do a couple other thigns to exersize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 darrragh

acro balance that will get you fit or capoeira
    i thing geting fit should be a byproduct of having fun, :)
    I cant see juggling heavy objects doing much more that causing injury through repitive strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

How about this guy -> (DDR Juggling) :D
    That looks like a damn good workout... I'm tired just watching it.

Advertisement