Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swap Binary for XML and vice versa

Options
  • 31-12-2005 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea on how difficult it would be to transfer a file from binary format to xml.

Thats of course assuming you have access to the original binary format (if thats even possible :) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

About as simple as decoding the binary, and writing it out to a text file (which is all XML is). If you can decode the binary, its simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Could you be more specific? WBXML? Something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Could you be more specific? WBXML? Something else?

Sorry no specifics yet. Just bouncing idea's off in my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

As long as you have the spec for the binary, it should be quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.perfectxml.com/articles/xml/binary.asp

Although IMHO XML is not the do all end all of data transfer. I'd go with just sending the binary as a binary object. It would go faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hobbes wrote:
    http://www.perfectxml.com/articles/xml/binary.asp

Although IMHO XML is not the do all end all of data transfer. I'd go with just sending the binary as a binary object. It would go faster.

That's just putting the binary in an XML field tho, it's not putting the data in XML. That said, there's nothing wrong with transferring data as binary. And XML, though it has its uses, is a little over-hyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

damnyanks wrote:
    Sorry no specifics yet. Just bouncing idea's off in my head :)
    You're not going to get anything other than the most broad and generic of responses then.

Advertisement