Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the best way to get summer job?

Options
  • 30-12-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been in college for the last two year studying computing, I really like the programming end of it and its what i want to get into full-time anyhow my question is what is the best place to go to get some experience in the summer, I have spent the last two summers not doing what I wanted to do and also not making the money I needed too either, I am a mature student with a wife and apartment to pay for, she works and I we get by on grants during the college year so its not like I can take any old 'student job' but at same time not many places want to hire you for 3 months unless its temping, which would be grand if i could get it. My computer knowledge is I’d say above average, but my programming knowledge is just really what I have obtained in two years of college. I have worked in industry in software\hardware support and repair computers from home on the side.

2nd question is where and when to apply, left it too late last year.

Regards
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

when: i'd say between march and may
    where: everywhere. look into smaller companies that do smaller projects as well as the bigger ones... also, if you've worked in the industry before, you should have some contacts somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You need to decide if you want experience or want to make money. Though they're not completely incompatible, you are going to have to accept that if a company is giving an uproven coder 'experience' they're unlikely to also pay a lot of money for that privilege.

You are not bringing and high-level contract skills to the 3 months, and all investment in time and knowledge the company makes over the time is lost to them.

So I'd say lower your expectations about pay and get on with getting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Balance between pay and expierence is a though one for me as i am a mature student and not like I have mammy and daddy to put a meal on a plate for me at the end of the day.

although anything is better then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Banks are always your best bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Your college will most likely have lists of jobs you can apply for, companies looking for summer workers will often contact them. There's probably some kind of careers office either for the college as a whole or even one for the comp dept. You could always try asking the dept. secretaries too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement