Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 630M good deal?

Options
  • 30-12-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Is €974 good for a dell Inspiron 630M with Pentium M 1.6 Processor, 1024MB RAM and XP Home? There's a wait list for that processor so they said I could go for a 1.73 Pentium M with Windows Pro for €1113 instead including delivery. I'm completely lost :( Just need it for college stuff, wireless internet and CD/DVD RW but don't wanna get ripped off!! What do ye think?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

If your not using it for games or 3D applications such as Solidworks then I would not spent the extra money on a processor upgrade. It does seam like a good price for what you need.
    For the sake of .13Ghz and XP Pro theres no way id pay an extra 150 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 m7

apparently XP Pro will be better for wireless access in College but I'm not sure why...? Its 90 extra to add it on.
    I'll check if I can just downgrade the processor instead and have it sooner...kinda desperate!!

Ok they won't downgrade the processor and its a 20day wait for the lowest one-which is way too long for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

The wireless networks in some colleges won't work with XP Home I've heard.
    Someone here mentioned Trinity won't allow XP Home users but can't be arsed remembering why that was.

XP Pro has some networking features Home doesn't so it depends on the network setup really.

yeah I'm in Trinity. The Dell guy told me I need Pro but I didn't believe him, so thanks for that!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RichyX wrote:
    Someone here mentioned Trinity won't allow XP Home users but can't be arsed remembering why that was.

XP Pro has some networking features Home doesn't

Thats the reason why Trinity dont allow XP Home users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Do they allow XP MCE? Or is it just a fancy version of home with a nice DVD player?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do they allow XP MCE? Or is it just a fancy version of home with a nice DVD player?

I think that has a stipped down version of Pro but unless its on the trinity newtork list (2000 Pro or XP Pro last time I checked) then I dont think they will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

That looks like a good deal for the €974, they're a bit big to be carrying around as far as I remember though, you might want to take that into account. Trinity will allow MCE cos it's esstentially pro but they can't guarantee to make it work for ya. I'd go with pro because as above they don't allow Home, and they don't wirelessly connect 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Got one about 2 weeks ago. Its exactly what I needed. And it's possibly the lightest laptop they have. came to 1.3 euro in the end. Just got the accidental cover and upgraded to an 80 gig hard drive.

I'm gonna go with the offer at 1130 then, need it asap!!
    Thanks for the advice guys ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement