Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they listen??

Options
  • 30-12-2005 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Remember sometime near the end of the summer (give or take 2 months!) I was trying a tread to get loads of ideas and submit it to the council... and i was saying how they should work on the footpaths, put in a permanent small funfair in the city, and promote the city as the homw of limericks.. put up plaques throughout the city and a limericks muesum!
    Well I saw the Post today (it was a day late, but nevermind that ..), and Mayor Scully is inviting the people of Limerick to write limericks which will be put up on plaques throughout the city!!!
    OK, no muesum .. but thats cool!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

maybe he reads the forum

maybe he posts on here under a pseudonym

maybe I am he

who knows

fair play to him though he seems to be one of our most enthusiastic mayors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Scully has been a fantastic mayor, really improved the city's relationship with the media, has come up with some great ideas to improve the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

how long has he been mayor was he here during the stab city eraeveryone gave limerick a hard time back then
    us in the county got slagged of to lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

haha, farmers are priceless (no we change mayor each year .. for some stupid reason!)!!! Wait, whats with that!!?
    anywho... well he's a relationship with the media cause half the time they are talking about him and Fine Gael and also he's like Willie O Dea.. he likes the odd photoshoot!
    Of course he's gonna be an enthusiastic mayor.. you cheats to get a job and then does it half assed??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

haha, farmers are priceless (no we change mayor each year .. for some stupid reason!)!!! Wait, whats with that!!?
    anywho... well he's a relationship with the media cause half the time they are talking about him and Fine Gael and also he's like Willie O Dea.. he likes the odd photoshoot!
    Of course he's gonna be an enthusiastic mayor.. you cheats to get a job and then does it half assed??

If we didnt change mayor, then there would be some stuffy old fart stuck in the job for several years, believe me, the rotating mayor system is a far better alternative.

• Advertisement

Not really, because they cant really do a great job! Scully's in office now, starting to get into it .... he cant make any real changes to Limerick cause he'll be out in a few months!!!
    The system in Amerca works so much better.. they are elected for 3 or so years and then can be re-elected as many times as nessacy.. and its the ppl who vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

I hope your not saying that im a farmer
    anyway i'd say 2yrs would be fair and they could put him back in as many times a possible

Not really, because they cant really do a great job! Scully's in office now, starting to get into it .... he cant make any real changes to Limerick cause he'll be out in a few months!!!
    The system in Amerca works so much better.. they are elected for 3 or so years and then can be re-elected as many times as nessacy.. and its the ppl who vote!

They do bugger all anyway. its the city manager that pulls all the strings. realisticly the council has zero power. all they are is a talking shop. somewhere for wannabee TDs to go.

ideally it would be a better idea to let the people decide who the mayor is, and to give him power. but then we would have genuine people being elected and it might upset the established council hacks that are in there already.

If you've a problem with the council, why don't you run for it yourself Billy? Loads of councillors run things like community games, community programmes, these people generally genuinely care about the city. Of course they make mistakes, and to a degree, they are powerless but at least they try to achieve things for the city.
    Tell John Gilligan he isn't working hard for the Island field, or Ginger that he isn't working hard for the underprivileged youths through his sports programme, or Joe Leddin that getting a community centre rebuilt is a pointless endeavour. These people work (with varying degrees of success) on a lot of important local issues, if you think you could do it better, run yourself, if you don't, be quiet and don't be so ignorant.

If you've a problem with the council, why don't you run for it yourself Billy? Loads of councillors run things like community games, community programmes, these people generally genuinely care about the city. Of course they make mistakes, and to a degree, they are powerless but at least they try to achieve things for the city.
    Tell John Gilligan he isn't working hard for the Island field, or Ginger that he isn't working hard for the underprivileged youths through his sports programme, or Joe Leddin that getting a community centre rebuilt is a pointless endeavour. These people work (with varying degrees of success) on a lot of important local issues, if you think you could do it better, run yourself, if you don't, be quiet and don't be so ignorant.

A councillors ideas have to go through the City Manager before they can come to fruition. their community work has sod all to do with the fact that they are councillors.

There are people like Sean O'Niell (whilst i disagree with his politics) who have worked hard with the underprivillaged, they have never been on the council

Ann Curley is another person who works with the underprivilaged, she ran a playschool for nigh on 40 years, never been a councillor either.

The council voted by majority against privatising the waste service in the city, but the City manager over ruled them and made deals with what is now known as "the dirty dozen"

you want to know who the mayor is going to be for the next 12 years. take a look at the list of people who chose to privatise the waste service in this city.

I hope you were not calling me ignorant, that is bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

The council voted by majority against privatising the waste service in the city, but the City manager over ruled them and made deals with what is now known as "the dirty dozen"

Tell me more , tell me more , I am dissapointed in myuself that I don't know the full details of this .

I was under the impression that privatisation was voted for by the majority and that some even voted for it even though it had enough voted already . Would like the full story as it is a nice one to have when they call to the door .

As a metter of interest ( or not ) there was a protest march down at the court house , way back then , and with the 50 odd thousand living in the city , only about 70+ people turned up , I was one ( yeah for me , it was the olde hippy comming out )

The problem with that theory Billy, ie who'll be mayor for the next 12 years, is that Scully is mayor now, when the original pact had Labour getting a mayoralty. Labour's Joe Leddin was meant to be elected mayor, but someone in Labour broke ranks and opposed him, seeing as Labour couldn't agree on who to nominate, FG decided to put a compromise FG candidate forward on the agreement that Labour would take the next FG mayoralty. Here's where things went from bad to worse, now FG couldn't decide who should be their candidate, with Byrne getting official backing, Scully (who wants a Dail nomination) went across to the independants and FF for backing, who backed him as a chance to influence the council, nothing to do with bin charges I'm afraid.

Another problem with your theory is that several returning councillors (particularly FF) lost their seats at the last election. But seeing as you are sure your theory is right, please name the dirty dozen councillors.

OK, this is getting a little bit too much of an "I know it all" thread!!! All of ye have to stop this behavour, its affecting each one of ye psychologically and its showing the forum in a bad light! If it continues I'm going to have to inform the mod Billy The Squid if ye continue! (that goes for you too Billy, dont think I wont tell you on you!!)
    Anywho.... back to where we started, so you think putting plaques up on city streets about limericks is a good idea?

*Edit* Thanks Amazotheamazing */Edit*

Great idea, putting planks up around town can only help, an even better idea is putting plaques up around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heheh

The only problem is that Willie takes the word 'photoshoot' literally.

I think that gun pointing photo was the highlight of 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

please name the dirty dozen councillors.

Right , like I said I just thought that the named below voted for refuse charges , I was unaware of any other vote or of any subsequent deals .

"Dirty Dozen"
    Jan O' Sullivan (lab) , John Ryan (lab) , Jack Bourke (ff) , Peter Power (ff) , Dick Sadlier (ff) , Kieran O'Hanlon (ff) , John Cronin (ff) , Larry Cross (ff) , Micheal Hourigan (fg) , Diarmuid Scully (fg) , Maria Byrne (fg) , Kathleen Leddin (ind) .

OK, this is getting a little bit too much of an "I know it all" thread!!! All of ye have to stop this behavour, its affecting each one of ye psychologically and its showing the forum in a bad light! If it continues I'm going to have to inform the mod Billy The Squid if ye continue! (that goes for you too Billy, dont think I wont tell you on you!!)
    Anywho.... back to where we started, so you think putting plaques up on city streets about limericks is a good idea?

*Edit* Thanks Amazotheamazing */Edit*

:D

that is all i have to say.

jonski wrote:
    Right , like I said I just thought that the named below voted for refuse charges , I was unaware of any other vote or of any subsequent deals .

"Dirty Dozen"
    Jan O' Sullivan (lab) , John Ryan (lab) , Jack Bourke (ff) , Peter Power (ff) , Dick Sadlier (ff) , Kieran O'Hanlon (ff) , John Cronin (ff) , Larry Cross (ff) , Micheal Hourigan (fg) , Diarmuid Scully (fg) , Maria Byrne (fg) , Kathleen Leddin (ind) .

how many of those have been mayor. and have you ever wondered why John Gilligan has always been passed over for mayor of the city?

edit: actually here is a list of every mayor since 1197

http://homepage.eircom.net/~billythesquid/mayors%20of%20limerick.pdf

Hmm, let's invent a convulated conspiracy theory instead being rational shall we?

Every year there has to be a mayor, every year the council elects a mayor from within it's ranks, only 17 councillors so nine votes gaurantess mayoralty, Currently there's a Labour/FG pact on mayoralty (and other things too, shock) since they have nine councillors between them (10 if Long rejoins FG). Ergo these parties control the mayoralty, problem, Scully wanted Dail nomination (which is decided this year), felt he needed high profile mayoralty to secure it, crossed over to independants for support seeing as FG wanted to put forward Byrne. Why did FG want Byrne? Well apart from being a good councillor, she isn't a threat to Noonan, Scully is.

Currently FG head office in Dublin are debating whether to add Scully to the FG ticket. BTW Billy, you still don't address the fact Bourke, Sadlier lost their seats, and John Ryan was only elected on the last count for Ward 1.

Gilligan is an independant, when was the last independant mayor Billy?

The refuse collection was privatisied because the City couldn't afford to pay for it, even without it, the City struggles to make ends meet.

Honestly, don't be inventing more problems for this city.

Advertisement