Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend...

Options
  • 30-12-2005 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Okay I've listened to stuff like

Kind Of Blue
    Mingus Ah Um
    A Love Supreme
    Round About Midnight

all good... now tell me some more stuff to get....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nutgroist

for multiple Horns, i'd recommend:

Roland Kirk - We Free Kings
    Joe Henderson and Kenny Dorham (any of their albums together)

Piano Trio:

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    Keith Jarrett - Still Live
    Oscar Peterson - Night Train

Voice:

Jimmy Scott - The Source
    Ella and Louis - Vol1

Guitar:

Grant Green - Matador
    Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny

all winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (must buy - exc album)
    Gillespie, Rollins and Stitt - Sonny Side Up
    John Coltrane - Blue Train (one of my all-time faves)
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Also this year:
    Manu Katché - Neighbourhood

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Art Blakey - Moanin'
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Miles Davis and Thelonius Monk Live at Carnegie Hall

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Check out Pandora, it's great for suggesting (and playing) stuff similar to what you like. Registration after the first 20ish minutes is free too. I listen to it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

1. Almost anything by EST but especially "Winter In Venice" and "Strange Place for Snow".

2. Something by Enrico Pieranunzi perhaps, say, "Trasnoche".

3. One of Jan Garbarek's vocal/sax experiments - I prefer "Mnemosyme" but lots of people rave about "Officium".

4. Tord Gustavsen Trio's "The Ground"

5. Enrico Rava's "Easy Living"

6. Tomasz Stanko "Suspended Night"

The above all represent the European side of jazz where the American jazz form is melded with classical tinges and folk music that comes from the various countries.

Check out the following sites for eclectic (and reasonably priced!) jazz sides: www.camjazz.com and www.jazzos.com

JB

• Advertisement

What's Bobo Stenson's best album? Heard him being played in Tower a good while back and thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Bright Size Life is a wonderful album.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Daddio...."Serenity" is the must-have, you probably heard "Goodbye" in Tower...it's also excellent....for a sampler try Stenson's "Rarum" collection on ECM.

JB

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

Bright Size Life is a wonderful album.

Yeah, there are some great tunes on that. I like the track 'Midwestern Nights Dream' a lot. Passengers with Gary Burton is also worth a look if you like that side of Pat Metheny. Another great album is Whisper Not by the Keith Jarrett trio. Some fantastic playing on that, really well constructed (Poincana in particular is really special).
    satchmo wrote:
    Check out Pandora...

Cheers. Didn't know about this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

I know it's old, but I love this:
    Dave Brubeck: "Time Out."
    :cool:

• Advertisement

I was blessed to see that man live two years ago. Great album, not a bad track on it.

Recently gor Jazz at Massey Hall and The Bridge, both are feck!n brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

satchmo wrote:
    Check out Pandora, it's great for suggesting (and playing) stuff similar to what you like. Registration after the first 20ish minutes is free too. I listen to it all the time.

Ehhhh on the Pandora web site it says they are not licensed to broadcast to people outside teh US. Surely that is a copyright or similar infringement :-)

"At this time we are only licensed to offer Pandora music services to residents of the United States. Audio streaming regulations differ from country to country, and we are working on acquiring the proper licenses so we can legally offer Pandora outside of the United States. We require your zip code to confirm that you are a resident of the United States."

So don't use it unless you're a resident of the US - Americans read these boards too you know. Back on topic please.

satchmo wrote:
    So don't use it unless you're a resident of the US - Americans read these boards too you know. Back on topic please.

Just trying to do the right thing; you can't be too careful you know.

Yeah fair enough... when I say illegal material & copyright infringement in the charter it means blatantly illegal MP3 sites, torrent sites etc.

But if you're still worried about the legality of Pandora, check out last.fm instead.

satchmo wrote:
    Yeah fair enough... when I say illegal material & copyright infringement in the charter it means blatantly illegal MP3 sites, torrent sites etc.

But if you're still worried about the legality of Pandora, check out last.fm instead.

That is fair enough and it is correct that you prevent the crazy sites being advertised (large scale illegal stuff). The particular tab site I recommended in the other thread is a tiny site that has 50 tabs that were contributed by individuals who made them themselves (from transcriptions). Technically it IS copyright infringement I think if the songs still have copyright running but copyright on solos and individual arrangements are not so clear or at least I am not familiar with what is right and what is wrong. That site is a tiny hobby site run by a music teacher. Ok, if it is illegal; it is illegal; it actually never occured to me that it was and it has been running quite openly for a year and I suspect the music copyright people ignore it as it is small fry.

You put time into moderating this and I am not trying to get at you (well maybe I am; newsgroups have a habit of getting people annoyed; apologies).

Look, the bottom line is "follow the rules or get banned". This site is paid for and owned by the admins, and is a self-described "benevolent dictatorship" - it's just not worth their while risking legal problems by allowing linking to copyrighted material, no matter how big or small. No exceptions. Every single other board is the same, so this should come as no surprise.

If you have a problem with any particular rule then either PM me or post in the Help desk, but for the last time stop taking this thread off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sheeps Head

Got to have..
    Trane's Blues - (you know who)
    Chasin' the Bird - Miles Davis
    and please don't forget
    Autumn Leaves - Stan Getz

I feel privileged to have heard Stan at the Fextival Hall in London a few (cough) years ago. Had the audience spellbound.

Ron

Got to have..
    Trane's Blues - (you know who)
    Chasin' the Bird - Miles Davis
    and please don't forget
    Autumn Leaves - Stan Getz

I feel privileged to have heard Stan at the Fextival Hall in London a few (cough) years ago. Had the audience spellbound.

Ron
    Ya lucky mofo! Stan Getz?! Good work!

Is Autumn Leaves a good album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sheeps Head

Yeah, not bad. A bit variable, but worth it just for the title track.

Ron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

i always thought the best way to find new music is to look at the musicians that perform with your favourites and check them out. If you look at kind of blue, miles' bandmates arer all renowned musicians and are responsible for alot of great albums themselves which you'll probably like. Theres a big family of jazz from that era with lots of fantastic ensembles. One can often simply just pick up all the blue note recordings you can tho, they're always good:P
    Gotta make at least a couple of recommendations tho
    Wayne Shorter: Speak no evil or Night Dreamer, then Juju or adam's apple
    Herbie Hancock: maiden voyage or speak like a child
    Horace Silver: Song for my father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

i always thought the best way to find new music is to look at the musicians that perform with your favourites and check them out.

i have to agree with you there....i went to Ron Carter at the Cork jazz festival there last october...absolutely loved it! went home and got a couple of cd's by himself, golden striker was one, cant remember the other, but i didnt really take to them at all. then i found that to hear the best of him i had to listen to him playing with miles etc. where he wasnt the main lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yeah Carter is pretty sweet live, tho he is responsible for some fairly dodgy solo albums:P Hes fantastic on alot of others tho. He plays alot with Shorter and Hancock (who are both also responsible for some dodgy albums:P) Lol, we can thank the 80s for those:P
    If you wanna hear carter at his best tho, i cant recommend speak like a child enough, some of hte best bass lines ever are on that album.
    I guess the whole hard bop movement 60s-early 70s is probably where the best jazz ever has been recorded imho.

Carter plays tremendously on My Funny Valentine Live with Miles Davis, in or around 1964 I think. Great album altogether.

Have to agree with you Shatners aswell, you can't really go wrong with a Blue Note album. I don't really like buying compilations usually, but "The Best Blue Note Album in the World... Ever!" is brilliant, not a bad track on it and a great starting point if you're unsure what BN records to go for.

Advertisement