Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programs for mac?

Options
  • 30-12-2005 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Are there any good free drawing or picture editing things for macs? Doesnt have to be too advanced. The only one i've found is GIMP and i can't get that one working.

Also, are there any other nifty programs for macs? It's new and i'm smitten :D. So much better than windows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Smx

gerry87 wrote:
    Are there any good free drawing or picture editing things for macs? Doesnt have to be too advanced. The only one i've found is GIMP and i can't get that one working.

Also, are there any other nifty programs for macs? It's new and i'm smitten :D. So much better than windows.

Welcome to the world of mac! :)
    They should be some good drawing stuffs at download.com
    http://www.download.com/Illustration/3150-2187_4-0.html?tag=dir
    Of course you could shell out the cash for photoshop :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've been looking for something like that for a while now too. I couldn't find anything on download.com.

Im looking for something I can layer photos on. Y'know make funny photos of my friends. Like cut around one person than add it onto another photo.

Anyone know anything that can do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

You might try InkScape, a small opensource drawing project at sourceforge.

You need apple's x11 (go to the Apple site and search for x11, its approximately 50Mb to download and 1 click to install and you will never hear about it again). This provides a layer if you like for some open source software to run. (I suspect that is what is causing your problems with Gimp)

Then google inkscape. I think it's around 50Mb again to download. When it is running, the interface is seriously clunky compared to the usual graceful Apple apps. I can't emphasise enough that it will drive you made for around fifteen minutes until you figure out what the feck is going on.

But after that it becomes very usable, with nice features and good cross-platform compatibility.

However if you want Photoshop polish and usability, you will have to pay Photoshop prices.

Advertisement