Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Laptop

Options
  • 29-12-2005 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi
    can anyone advise on whether the new Aldi laptop (Medion MD96400) is a good buy? There's no price for here yet, but it was sold at €999 in Germany. I'm looking for the smallest laptop possible for €1000, just for college stuff, works, internet etc....and its gotta be light and have wireless :rolleyes: A guy in Harvey Norman tried to sell me a Toshiba satellite L20 for €799 but I'm not sure if I should wait for the Aldi one on 12th jan instead. Please HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Looks like it's being sold for €1099 here.

Seems ok considering higher taxes and overheads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

I'm in the same boat as the OP, anyone got any spec. for the laptop??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

http://www.medion.de/flash/md96400/

Press link on the bottom its in German but you'll understand the majority, 60gb,Turon CPU,ATI X200m,512 RAM..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

surprised aldi is doing this, its more of a business type laptop isnt it?and a business man wouldnt buy it as support wouldnt be as good as toshiba or fujitsu or dell.
    battery is a slight let down also, as is the weight of it. good price though considering the warranty..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

only good thing about that laptop is
    tv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That isn't an overly great price? The gfx is crap, the ram just average. Some nice extras but all in all, would rather for that price get something from DELL then from Aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 notnowimbusy

Hello, Bought one of these from Aldi and what can I say other than i'm really disappointed. Would advise against buying one of these for the following reasons (all of the comments made are in my humble opinion, others might be more than happy with the MD96400):-

(1). The sound quality on this multimedia notebook PC, which at the end of the day has been purposely built for DVD Playback, Terrestrial and Analog Television and so on.. is completely and utterly not acceptable, regardless of the settings chosen for audio playback. There's an SPDIF-Out but IMHO a multimedia notebook PC such as this one isn't mean't to be hooked up permanently to a Digital Surround Sound System:-(.

(2). If build quality is quite high on your list of priorities. IMHO the build quality of this particular Turion64 Notebook PC is not the best in class nor approaching best in class, Sony VAIO ultra notebook PCs in comparison seem to be beautifully made with particular attention to detail being made (in all honesty £729.99 is not by any means cheap).

(3). The graphics card memory is shared with system memory:-(.

(4). Both memory slots are occupied. 512Mb DDR RAM is not necessarily enough and it'd be nice for the 512Mb to be onboard with a vacant slot for an additional 512Mb to be installed.

(5). Not really a comment that's specifically for the MD96400 but goes for just about all high-value technogy products that Aldi sell. This is an expensive item to pay for by cash/debit card. Lidl accept credit cards for payment surely Aldi should be able to as well?.

(6). 0870 technical support number.

Rgds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Don't know a thing about ALDI but I do have a theory that if your going to buy a PC for a lot of bucks you need to be able to check quality/performance and the manufacturers reputation with other users prior to the decision being made (on Boards.ie etc) and this is rarely possible with this type of 'Special' sale offer ..... buy a Dell or even a Sony :p

LIDL .... Credit Cards .... no way Hosey for us!!!! :eek: .... they will take laser tho :)

see also this link ....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054872302

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hello, Bought one of these from Aldi and what can I say other than i'm really disappointed. Would advise against buying one of these for the following reasons (all of the comments made are in my humble opinion, others might be more than happy with the MD96400):-

(1). The sound quality on this multimedia notebook PC, which at the end of the day has been purposely built for DVD Playback, Terrestrial and Analog Television and so on.. is completely and utterly not acceptable, regardless of the settings chosen for audio playback. There's an SPDIF-Out but IMHO a multimedia notebook PC such as this one isn't mean't to be hooked up permanently to a Digital Surround Sound System:-(.

(2). If build quality is quite high on your list of priorities. IMHO the build quality of this particular Turion64 Notebook PC is not the best in class nor approaching best in class, Sony VAIO ultra notebook PCs in comparison seem to be beautifully made with particular attention to detail being made (in all honesty £729.99 is not by any means cheap).

(3). The graphics card memory is shared with system memory:-(.

(4). Both memory slots are occupied. 512Mb DDR RAM is not necessarily enough and it'd be nice for the 512Mb to be onboard with a vacant slot for an additional 512Mb to be installed.

(5). Not really a comment that's specifically for the MD96400 but goes for just about all high-value technogy products that Aldi sell. This is an expensive item to pay for by cash/debit card. Lidl accept credit cards for payment surely Aldi should be able to as well?.

(6). 0870 technical support number.

Rgds.

You knew it was gonna be shared memory and as far as extra ram slot goes, usually they state it. Obviously its not gonna be a sony viao for the price you got it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭event

im quite happy with mine

does the job grand, plays my games, has a tv tuner which is class, can watch dvds fine and isnt too heavy
    the accessories with it are good, the bag is fine

for the price, i think its good, i dont know a whole lot about laptops but ot does the job for me

can anyone find me a better laptop with all the accessories for a cheaper price?

• Advertisement
Advertisement