Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamachi - The ultimate (FREE) zero config VPN solution for everyone.

Options
  • 28-12-2005 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

Is quite simply the answer to all your VPN dreams.

Steve Gibson from www.grc.com says
    After two solid weeks of testing and intense dialog with Hamachi's lead developer and designer, I have fully vetted the system's security architecture and have it running on many of my systems.
    what else can I say? if it's good enough for someone like Steve Gibson, it's good enough for me!
    What it is
    With Hamachi you can organize two or more computers with an Internet connection into their own virtual network for direct secure communication.

Hamachi is fast, secure and simple. It is also free.

What's in it for me
    Think - LAN over the Internet.

Think - Zero-configuration VPN.

Think - Secure peer-to-peer.

Access computers remotely. Use Windows File Sharing. Play LAN games. Run private Web or FTP servers. Communicate directly. Stay connected.
    right, enough gabbing, get on over to www.hamachi.cc and give it a whirl.

what does it mean for you and me? well, I spent an age trying to get remote desktop working over the internet on my home PC, so I could use it from work, but despite reading all the info there is on the web, it never quite worked, and neither did VNC, or anything else I tried. It just wasn't happening for me, even though it was working fine from within my home LAN.

I read about Hamachi on the grc website and decided to give it a try, even though I was sceptical of the claims it made as I'd seen these promises before elsewhere.

I had a bit of trouble with RDP initially, but I upgraded to the latest beta and it now works fine, and is exceptionally fast to the point where it's easy to forget you're working remotely.

In addition to that, you can access all your shares etc. via explorer, and play games as if you were on a LAN, because effectively you ARE on a LAN.

I really can't say enough good things about it, and anyone who always wanted to get remote access to their home or work pc, but could never get it working, this is for you, and everyone else besides!

NOTE: For security reasons, it's recommended to use a strong password to access Himachi. www.grc.com/passwords will generate an exceptionally strong totally unique password for you of up to 64 characters for total security.

now don't say I never give you anything! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

nice find. as you say, if steve gibson says its kosher thats good enough for me. thanks !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

as i said, it's actually the first thing I've found VPN wise that I've managed to get working properly over the internet with my home PC. never really been sure what's stopping it working, and considering I do tech support for a company with over 1500 PC's and a couple of hundred laptops (and most of the lappys with VPN) you'd think it'd be a snap, especially as i recently took over as the main POC for VPN issues, but c'est la vie. :rolleyes:

bedlam, i'm sure there's some sort of irony in the fact that while I'm typing this your post count reads 1337. i wonder if that will be your last post to preserve your status as an internet guru. :rolleyes:

I'm not one to believe everything I see or hear on the internet without proof, but I'd be a lot more inclined to believe someone who has actually done some work in the field of computer security and produced a considerable amount of useful work, than some sad twat who doesn't even seem to know how to embed images in his crappy little website that serves to do nothing other than serve as a platform to put down someone who is actually doing something useful to people.

hmmm, I wonder who I should put more faith in?

it doesn't matter what people do with their lives, there will always be someone out there t put them down.

I can see it now, sometime in the future, someone comes up with a cure for cancer and there'll be someone writing about how crap they are and that they used to wet the bed when they were little and will never amount to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hehe, good old Steve Gibson.

If Steve Gibson says so (and on the INTORNET no less!), it must be true!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

vibe666 wrote:
    I'm not one to believe everything I see or hear on the internet without proof, but I'd be a lot more inclined to believe someone who has actually done some work in the field of computer security and produced a considerable amount of useful work, than some sad twat who doesn't even seem to know how to embed images in his crappy little website that serves to do nothing other than serve as a platform to put down someone who is actually doing something useful to people.

Steve Gibson is doing something useful to people?

Steve Gibson's reputation as a nonsense talking marketing machine is fairly well established. If you want to think that his endorsement is gold, then go right ahead, I personally couldn't care less. Don't come along and get so personally abusive when someone corrects you though. If the point that bedlam made had a flaw in its resoning then it strikes me that you could have addressed that flaw rather than engage in an ad hominem attack. This website is not for anyone's propaganda purposes (except perhaps mine on occasion) so be prepared to debate if you make assertions.

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote:
    It sure seems like you are. You qoute Gibson saying he fully vetted the security of the system, yet no where does he actually provide any worthwhile details of this work. His podcast which , saving that the product is freeware, sounds more like a sales pitch and has little technical merit.
    well, unless he spent 2 weeks putting together the podcast I'm pretty certain that given it a good bit of attention, especially since he says he's using it on a lot of his own machines which I'm sure he looks after pretty well.

the whole podcast series is designed to simplify things and not get too over technical to the point where most people can't understand the subject.
    ecksor wrote:
    Don't come along and get so personally abusive when someone corrects you though.
    unless bedlam is the author of grcsucks.com i don't see how its personal abuse, but i'm sure you're going to tell me. :rolleyes:

I found something useful on the net, I tried it, it does exactly what it says it does and it does it very well where everything else I've tried has always failed in one way or another so i thought I'd share it, but little did i know that the internet vultures were circling to dive on anything positive that someone might be trying to share.

did bedlam even look at hamachi before he posted? no, i doubt he did, instead he decided to dump on the thread because he doesn't like someone who recommended the software without even looking at it, or even mentioning anything about it and that kind of crap gets on my nerves. and now two more vultures have joined in, both of whom should know better than to thread spoil, especially one in particular (maybe you need to re-read your own FAQ?) who also have nothing to say about the thread subject matter. maybe you would like to actually have a look at the software in question before you start accusing me of attacking someone for defending my thread when it was in fact my thread that was attacked.

now if you wouldn't mind ecksor, can you ban yourself, bedlam and Sico for thread spoiling so that anyone who actually has something useful to say can get on and discuss the software that the thread is about. but then no, probably not. you'd much rather ban me for standing up for myself and save yourself an argument.

actually, if you're up for an argument how about starting a new thread to discuss the meaning of ad hominem? i think you'll find that bedlam's post was an ad hominem attack. maybe a little wiki wandering might refresh your memory. this thread is supposed to be about Hamachi, not Steve Gibson but according to bedlam, because he thinks so little of Steve the software in question must be rubbish regardless of anything else I said. a clear ad hominem attack.

failing that, you could always move the site to china and let them do your censoring and save yourself a bit of trouble whenever someone disagrees with the party line regardless of whether it's wrong or right.

for anyone else who isn't interested in it, but likes where bedlam was going with his post, here's a website revealing how Einstein was a hoax, and the people who did this site even managed to format their html properly and get their images working. its on the internet, so it must be true: http://christianparty.net/einstein.htm they even have lots of reference material to back things up.

have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

openvpn is a nice vpn solution - very easy to setup

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Missed the edit of this. This is why I can't keep any moderators on this forum.
    vibe666 wrote:
    I found something useful on the net, I tried it, it does exactly what it says it does and it does it very well where everything else I've tried has always failed in one way or another so i thought I'd share it,

Good for you, there's no problem with that.
    but little did i know that the internet vultures were circling to dive on anything positive that someone might be trying to share.

You made a baseless comment and got called on it. You had no solid backup to that comment. Simple as that. Your assumptions do not constitute assurance, which is the issue at hand here.
    now if you wouldn't mind ecksor, can you ban yourself, bedlam and Sico for thread spoiling so that anyone who actually has something useful to say can get on and discuss the software that the thread is about. but then no, probably not. you'd much rather ban me for standing up for myself and save yourself an argument.

You don't seem to have grasped my reasons for objecting to your post or the reasons for your comments being attacked. At any rate, you're right about one thing. Banned.

Advertisement