Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good alternative?

Options
  • 28-12-2005 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hi :)
    Well I got kitted out, lathe and all, leave that for another thread, once I have everything:) Anyway, saw this in woodies for €40. I think it's 1,800 watts, whatever that means, I'm not sure. But it has a vacuum feature, would this be a good alternative to the quite expensive vacs by axminster and the likes or would this be nothing like them in terms of sucking up sanding dust?

Also, while I'm here, where is the best place to get a good bench vise? My teacher told me he saw one in McQuillans for €75 identical to the ones we use in college but the only identical one I saw there was about €150 when I went in.

Any feedback appreciated:)

Will be posting a thread on everything I got and costs once I get the vise, bench and a few other things:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm not sure about that vacuum Cormie, so I cant really help you with that one, a brush and a dust pan does the job for me ;) .

As for the vice, are there no Sunday markets or the like anywhere around you? I do always see them going for pretty cheap at markets and the like, both old and new ones, or perhaps a travellers yard, they might have one, ask about.

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm not sure about the vacuum either but it's recommended to use something to get all the fine particles away while sanding. Wonder would it be any use or would it just spray them all back out the filter where it sucks them in:confused:

Can't think of any markets off hand locally that would have a vice. Thanks for the tips though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    I'm not sure about the vacuum either but it's recommended to use something to get all the fine particles away while sanding. Wonder would it be any use or would it just spray them all back out the filter where it sucks them in:confused:
    You'd be right about the filter, in fact I'd be doubtful if something made for sucking up leaves would have any filter at all except for the bag itself. We once had a B&D combined leaf blower / garden vac and it was cr@p basically. Don't know how many watts it was supposed to be but it sucked big time (or rather, it didn't, if you get what I mean :) )

My Axminster dust extractor has 3 filters in it, one coarse cloth filter, a fine cloth filter and a final paper filter. Like you say there's not a lot of point in sucking in all that fine sanding dust and then just spitting it all out again at the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply, I was just about to go and get it:p Not now though:)

Advertisement