Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Sound Card/Software Issue

Options
  • 28-12-2005 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Ok guys i got myself a new laptop for bringing to college... I'm studying Audio Production. But there is a major problem with my new laptop that i've just noticed now. Its a Dell Inspiron 1300 XP Home running with a SigmaTel Based Sound Card. My problem is that in the recording options for volume control under recording there only options i have are Line-In and Mic..... Not option for "Mixed" or "Wave" like most other systems have. This of course means that i cannot record audio from anything other the mic/line in jack.... Which presents a major problem........ Any got any ideas how to overcome this?

Thanks Guys in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

How else were you intending to record if not via a line in? :confused:

Onboard sound is poor. Surprised you didn't buy a sound card for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

i had this problem, dell are crap when it comes to things like this the only way you can get good sound is to buy an exxternal sound card

irishpal25 wrote:
    i had this problem, dell are crap when it comes to things like this the only way you can get good sound is to buy an exxternal sound card

Whats Dell got to do with it. So if you had this problem, what do you use if not line in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Make sure you select Advanced controls from the options menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

I've had problems with Dell's onboard sound but with a Dell 8300 PC. Firstly I wanted stereo sound (like an MP3) to out put on all 5.1 speakers, not just front left, front right and sub. Later, while doing a college project on speech recognition I needed access to more advanced controls also.

I researched the audio chip in on the motherboard so I knew it was capable of all I wanted to do. After hassling Dell and one free motherboard upgrade later I was put in contact with an engineer in the US who works on Dells audio drivers.

He told me that the only option was third party upgrade. Apparently Dell instructs it's developers to take standard drivers and rip functionality out of them! The idea being that this will mean there's less ways the user could mess up the system, which lowers support calls, which lowers costs!

• Advertisement

Anyone serious about sound would buy a decent sound card in the first place. :rolleyes:

Advertisement