Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Advise on new Laptop

Options
  • 27-12-2005 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if some of you could help me out and give me some advise on where I should look for a new laptop I want to buy. I've always purchased my desktops from dell and usually they seem good value but when it comes to notebooks it could be totally different.
    Here's some idea on what I'd be looking for..

Price Range €1500-2000
    Wireless network card is a must
    DVD-R is preferable
    60gb+hdd
    1gig+RAM
    Proc: I guess a Pentium M would be best? 1.7+?
    Screen isnt too important though 17" would be nice.
    Size isnt a big factor as I wouldnt take it out much.

Also, I'm getting a new 42" LCD TV, Any advise on how to ensure I could hook up a new laptop to the tv?

I know if I want a good spec a desktop is far cheaper but I'd like to use my notebook and current desktop side by side and also hook the laptop to my new TV when I need to (a desktop in a living area isnt the prettiest site).

Any advise/suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Dell are reasonably priced,and would provide that spec. for that price (17" for that price = the 9300 series) ..
    Output to TV = S-Video out, VGA, or DVI ports on the laptop..

Have you considered broadcast from PC->TV wirelessly..it'd be cheaper:)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Hi Karoma,

Thanks for the post, I guess I'll stick with Dell so and order one of the Inspirons..

With regards to the output to TV, I'm presuming DVI would be the way to go considering it's an LCD TV. Wireless streaming to the tv does look interesting but I want to do more than just play dvds/videos from my computer on the tv. Thanks for the idea though!

By the way, I know this will sounds like a stupid question to most so forgive my ignorance, but when connecting the laptop to my tv would the quality of the graphics card and the ammount of dedicated memory influence the picture quality on the tv? (I'm guessing yes but just making sure it's worth the extra few €€)

Cheers

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Advertisement