Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic on RTE 2 now

Options
  • 27-12-2005 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Surprised to see it screened in the middle of the day. Didn't Kate Winslet get her knockers out at one stage in that movie?
    The word "s**t" is uttered on a few occasions too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Jack: "This is horseshít!"

Myself and my friend kept rewinding that part until the words lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭lukin

Maybe RTE will cut out the boob shot. I'll let you know anyway.

They didn't cut it, she got 'em out alright! Maybe I'm a bit behind the times but I thought RTE would be unlikely to screen a film that contains a scene like that in the middle of the day?
    Kids are bound to be watching like. Maybe their policy has changed, I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

lukin wrote:
    Kids are bound to be watching like.

And we all know what a pair of boobs can do to an impressionable kiddie's poor brain!

RTE's showed the film several times and always uncut.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

God, would we really like to be like america and have the FCC editing everything.

oh my god titties, my eyes are burnt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Think I caught teh gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

lukin wrote:
    They didn't cut it, she got 'em out alright! Maybe I'm a bit behind the times but I thought RTE would be unlikely to screen a film that contains a scene like that in the middle of the day?
    Kids are bound to be watching like. Maybe their policy has changed, I dunno.

Watching dire movies is more damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

RTE have gotten into trouble a few times over screening things early. I remember a particular incident involving a golfing film showed in the afternoon which was quite heavy in its use of the word ****.

I'm surprised Titanic got through, despite however little damage a pair of tits would do to anybody. I suspect somebody ****ed up and that there'll be a few complaints.

On an unrelated note I think Titanic is a great film. Almost bought it today but opted for The Frighteners instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Lodgepole wrote:
    On an unrelated note I think Titanic is a great film. Almost bought it today but opted for The Frighteners instead.

..yeah I was a bit harsh. Its a decent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i really dont know why people get worked up over things like this. shít isnt as bad as fúck imo. and it is only Kate Winslets tits, not a hardcore sex scene

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i really dont know why people get worked up over things like this. shít isnt as bad as fúck imo. and it is only Kate Winslets tits, not a hardcore sex scene
    It's not so much getting worked up as it is working to please as many people as possible. I agree with the ratings system (though not entirely as it exists today) and the watershed is an offshoot of that. I don't mind a pair of tits on screen at four o clock in the day and I would like to believe that if I had children I wouldn't take much issue with a scene like the one in Titanic being seen by them. But there are plenty who don't, and society has decided that in the hours before nine o clock that television stations should take responsibility for what is shown so that parents don't have to constantly worry about what their children might be watching. Not everybody is as accepting as me, or indeed you, and that's their decision and one that I have no right to change. It's not bad parenting to leave a child in front of a television during the day, not in my view anyway.

To me cutting the film for daytime viewing is perfectly acceptable provided it doesn't upset the artistic integrity of the film (in Titanic's case it could be achieved very simply using pan and scan). Such versions exist for American television (though certain films are cut in really nonsensical ways...) In this way we keep everybody happy. RTE can show it at a more suitable time uncut if they wish.

I don't agree with censorship, but we have viewing standards for a reason. The afternoon is the wrong time for a set of baps, however well formed, to be on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

Titanic has been shown several times uncut in the afternoon on both RTE and BBC. If there had been many complaints it would be unlikely they would re-screen it at the same time.

I'd hate to see what Lodgepole is suggesting happen over here. You simply cannot cut a film and maintain it's artistic integrity, as the very scenes which are susceptible to be cut are often there for artistic reasons.

If the word '****' was a problem, then all broadcasts of Back to the Future or Indiana Jones will have to be moved back to post watershed... :rolleyes:

Quinnsey wrote:
    I'd hate to see what Lodgepole is suggesting happen over here. You simply cannot cut a film and maintain it's artistic integrity, as the very scenes which are susceptible to be cut are often there for artistic reasons.
    Actually it's quite possible. Take the nudity in Titanic... You could easily remove it without taking out a single frame. Just crop the image. There's no on screen nipplage, but the concept of the scene remains the same. It's quite possible to alter things without harming artistic integrity. Even Stanley Kubrick did it with the US release of Eyes Wide Shut.

And has it been shown in the afternoons? The only times I recall it being shown on RTE are when it premiered on Christmas day at 9pm and again a year or so later at the same time.

Quinnsey wrote:
    If the word '****' was a problem, then all broadcasts of Back to the Future or Indiana Jones will have to be moved back to post watershed... :rolleyes:
    Back to the Future generally has all of the curses cut out when shown early. And Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is never shown uncut on television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Why remove it and stigmatise it to a whole new generation.

base2 wrote:
    Why remove it and stigmatise it to a whole new generation.
    I don't believe it is stigmatising it. It's allowing those people who don't want their children to see nudity on screen before the watershed to allow them full access to their television. The compromise that those people have with those of us who don't have a problem with the nudity is the 9 o 'clock watershed.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Actually it's quite possible. Take the nudity in Titanic... You could easily remove it without taking out a single frame. Just crop the image. There's no on screen nipplage, but the concept of the scene remains the same. It's quite possible to alter things without harming artistic integrity. Even Stanley Kubrick did it with the US release of Eyes Wide Shut.

By that rationale you could maintain the artistic integrity of Michelangelo’s David by cropping it below the torso.

It’s questionable as to whether Kubrick ever approved of that digital trickery and it certainly harms the integrity of the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

RTE haven't the technical competence to cut films so we always get them uncut. I distinctly remember watching Temple of Doom in the early evening and it was the uncut version. Anytime the BBC show it, they cut it - mainly because they have to as the only version certified by the British film censor (BBFC) is cut.

I know what I'm talking about. There's no point in anyone disagreeing with me or questioning what I just said. You would be in error, so don't anyone make a fool out of yourself.

The BBC don’t legally have to conform to BBFC cuts, they often make their own censorship decisions.

Quinnsey wrote:
    Titanic has been shown several times uncut in the afternoon on both RTE and BBC. If there had been many complaints it would be unlikely they would re-screen it at the same time.

Lodgepole wrote:
    And has it been shown in the afternoons? The only times I recall it being shown on RTE are when it premiered on Christmas day at 9pm and again a year or so later at the same time.

I actually think you are right to there Lodgepole, as far as I know it hasn't been shown in the afternoon on RTE before, that's why I posted the topic in the first place. I'm not a prude by any means, just surprised that's all.

• Advertisement

Quinnsey wrote:
    By that rationale you could maintain the artistic integrity of Michelangelo’s David by cropping it below the torso.

It’s questionable as to whether Kubrick ever approved of that digital trickery and it certainly harms the integrity of the scene.
    You could maintain it but you'd be wrong. I'm not going to paint every piece of art with the same brush. In the case of Titanic removing the nudity doesn't harm it.

And it isn't questionable at all as to whether Kubrick approved the Eyes Wide Shut digital work. He approved it whole heartedly because he knew the US had different standards.
    RTE haven't the technical competence to cut films so we always get them uncut. I distinctly remember watching Temple of Doom in the early evening and it was the uncut version. Anytime the BBC show it, they cut it - mainly because they have to as the only version certified by the British film censor (BBFC) is cut.
    I've always been proud that RTE have a policy of not cutting their films after nine o clock. I don't recall ever seeing Temple uncut on RTE though, I was sure that our censor made the same cuts that the BBFC made.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I know what I'm talking about. There's no point in anyone disagreeing with me or questioning what I just said. You would be in error, so don't anyone make a fool out of yourself.

I'm going to put this in my sig and therefore always be right for ever. :rolleyes:

Advertisement