Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets get Irish back into letters/emails

Options
  • 26-12-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

The once common method in Ireland of beginning and ending letters - beginning 'A Chara' (meaning friend) and ending 'Is Mise le Meas' - is becoming rarer.

Isnt it about time we started a campaign to get people to use this simple form of address in emails and letters. Its a simple step which most people could use !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I think that that may lead to a half way problem, where the end of Irish is eroded into these polite meaningless words, I do however feel that people should at least do that to call themselfs Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dave3x

Cliste wrote:
    I do however feel that people should at least do that to call themselfs Irish

What kind of an opinion is this? I hope this is bad wording, and not that you *actually* believe that you should use traditonal greetings to give yourself the title of 'Irish'! Come on!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Generally a lot of people still use those terms. I dont think they'd make a huge difference though. Nice thought, maybe practicing what you suggest [which I'd imagine you do] is better.

Lead by example, a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I admit I do not have a way with words. It made sense in my head.
    Tá brón orm a chara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I never got this mix and match approach (Trom agus Eadrom used to do my head in one min Irish the next English).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I think people should take back the language and use it in the emails

Advertisement