Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over heating issue......

Options
  • 26-12-2005 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi there and merry Christmas all :D ,

I got GTA San Andreas for my laptop yesterday, its a Toshiba, P4 3.06Ghz and 704mb of RAM but after 30 minutes or so the laptop just shuts down due to over heating and it does get pretty hot! Anyone know what the problem might be or is it something that can be fixed? Its a year old so maybe a lot of dust and dirt have clogged up the heat sink but I cant get at that without taking the whole bottom casing off the laptop, is that recommendable?

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated,

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are all the vents unobstructed ? - I've put little pads under mine to give it an extra few mm clearance. Also how hot is the room ?

have you gone in to control panel and into the tosh utility and change the processor speed / cooling options - cooling battery optimised / intel step speed sutomatic ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

as captn says, be sure that you have good clearance under the unit. Its possibly not a "mobile" CPU and needs a LOT of cooling.

Ideally you should should pull the cover off and clean it out. Failing that, grab a can of compressed air from a hardware store and blast the dust out.

Worst\Best case scenario would be to remove the heatsink/fan, clean it and reapply decent thermal paste such as arctic silver 5. Lot of hassle, but usually worth it in the long run, especially with non-mobile chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I used compressed air on mine. Worked a treat. Just do it when the laptop is off.

Advertisement