Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning

Options
  • 26-12-2005 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Is there a need for this cloning thing?
    Or is it just something a scientist said
    To make sure he gets nominated for the Nobel
    Prize?

Is there a point in having two of me
    Or two of you
    Or two of him
    Some years younger, of course

Could the world live through someones teenage years
    And then the clones teenage years
    Over and over again?

Whatever you do,
    Don't buy a clone as a present

A clone is for life
    Not just for christmas.

I wrote this after thinking, could teh world cope with more tahn one of each of us???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

sorry i have to say it doesnt represent poetry to me...it just a few statements and questions put together, this is what you need to start with before you post anything, the next step is transforming it into a poem - thats the hard bit - anyone can write what you just posted - im sure millions have - its ordinary at best - sorry

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Littlmiss,
    Im going to ask you to please take the advice of the above poster.
    What you have there are statements/thoughts.

If youd like to turn it into a piece of creative writing take these thoughts and do something "creative" with them.

PLease think about this again before posting in here again.
    Consider this a warning...if it hadnt happened so many times before I wouldnt need to go here with this but you really have to take the other posters advice here because they are right. This is a place for creative writing, not blog or journal entry type posts...that is what after hours is for ;)
    next step is a temporary banning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Admittedly the two previous posters have said what I was going to say for the most part. But I want to reply anyway. I read your latest poem, and felt it was far from a poem, or something that could be described as poetic or even an interesting use of language. But this cloning "poem" is even worse. For instance
    "Is there a need for this cloning thing?" the whole line is a bit, how should I say, primitive to be in a poem. It's a very blunt statement, and it doesn't sound very informed or intelligent at all. A phrase like "cloning thing?" makes it look like your disguising a rant as a poem. Describing it as a "thing" rather than a more apt term like "research" or a word that's more specific makes it look like you really haven't the foggiest idea what you are saying in the first place. It seems to me that just because you are structuring your statements in combinations of two and four short lines that are separated from each other by a space, for example;

"Is there a point in having two of me
    Or two of you
    Or two of him
    Some years younger, of course"

you think it constitutes a poem. The lines "two of me, or two of you, or two of him" were so predictable, same meaning could have been communicated in a much better way, those lines are completely redundant. I really don't know. It's practically insulting how little work has been put into this and you're trying to tell us it's a poem, as was said in the first reply to your post: ANYONE could have written what you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Is there a need for this cloning thing?
    Or is it just something a scientist said
    To make sure he gets nominated for the Nobel
    Prize?

Is there a point in having two of me
    Or two of you
    Or two of him
    Some years younger, of course

Could the world live through someones teenage years
    And then the clones teenage years
    Over and over again?

Whatever you do,
    Don't buy a clone as a present

A clone is for life
    Not just for christmas.

I wrote this after thinking, could teh world cope with more tahn one of each of us???

I am writing this after thinking, "That is not a poem, it's a rambling about something you know nothing about."

Your cells use cloning all the time. After encountering an antigen of it's own specificity a lymphocyte proliferates clones of itself during the lag time to prepare for the secondary response.

Cloning could also be a solution to the massive problem that is the lack of donor organs in the world. If your parents have different haplotypes there is only a 1 in 4 chance that you will be histocompatible with one of your siblings. MHC molecules and blood have to be matched. Because a complete match is hard to find immunosuppressive drugs must be used to stop your body from attacking the organ. These immunosuppressive drugs in turn can cause autoimmunity (when your cells attack each other instead of pathogens). Organ cloning means better matches can be made reducing the need for treatment to suppress your body's reaction.

So now you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Ok then... I wrote about MY thoughts on it, not a scientifically correct paragraph straight out of a leaving cert biology book. Sorry if that offends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rhurja

I won't repeat anything that has been said above -though I must say, I agree with the general sentiment.. I just thought it might be helpful for you to read the following "Letters To A Young Poet" by Rainer Maria Rilke:

http://www.sfgoth.com/~immanis/rilke/letter1.html

I came across these writings a week ago, and I found them helpful & inspiring. If you carefully read all ten of them, I think you'll find them helpful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Ok then... I wrote about MY thoughts on it, not a scientifically correct paragraph straight out of a leaving cert biology book.

University immunology, actually. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

:eek: Having just read your poem I have to ask you.

IS THERE ANY NEED FOR YOUR "POETRY"????????????:mad:

It's just awful; awful... really really awful.
    I really didn't think it was good at all.:eek:
    I think your confusing cloning with dogs with Xmas when you say
    that clones are for life and not just for xmas.

I understand that cloning is very confusing but I think that was a very silly thing to write.

Perhaps this should be in the science section because its more to do with SCIENCE than POETRY. #
    maybe you should become a SCIENTIST instead of a POETIST:)

Like what were you thinking!!!:confused:
    AAAaaagghhh!!!!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. but it wasnt't really a poem at all.

Then again I'm a withered old prune.
    Liked the poem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Orange Elephant

Yeah, very weak. Could have been written by a 5 year old who's just been told what cloning is. You could have made it a bit more serious, and actually a poem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement