Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops for around 1k

Options
  • 26-12-2005 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Just wondering where the best place to get a laptop is and who has the best sale offers!!!
    I have around a grand to spend and mainly want it for downloading music
    what kind of spec should i look out for???

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Highly recommend this site : www.microaid.ie. Dont be put off my the budget website, there prices are excellent and the service is very good :). Recently bought an Acer Aspire from them, went very smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

They are good, very good.
    Make sure you get at least 512mb ram, but if you're only going to be downloading music and not playing any of the latest games, a fairly low spec on everything else should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Microaid are good. If you really want to see before you buy, there's a computer shop in the Stephen's Green centre, where a customer of mine bought one before christmas for just under 1000. It was a HP machine, nice styling, but had a bunch of junk software installed. It would have been fine with all that stuff removed though.

I agree with the advice to get at least 512Mb of RAM if at all possible.

I would also at least consider the offers that are in Tesco, ALDI, Lidl and elsewhere.

One of the differences between a low-budget laptop and a higher-end one is the type of chip. I would always prefer to get a non-celeron 'M' series chip. You get a good bit more welly from the non-celeron chip, and you get a good bit more battery life from it being an 'M' chip. (Or Turion from AMD) However, the non-celeron thing in particular costs more.

You can also get machines based on chipsets that aren't really designed for low-power mobile use and if you do this, you'll get less battery life. It's a question of what's important for you.

a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getyourENDAway

thanks for the advice, ive been looking around for a laptop over the last couple of days and its seems that one laptop will have say 1024mb of ram with only 40gb hard drive so i think its a matter of sacrificing one element of the laptop to get something on budget!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

For music you'll want the biggest HD you can get. Or budget for an external HD aswell. Also consider how you will back this up. Laptop onboard sound can be woeful. Think about getting an external sound card. Even cheap ones can make a huge difference even if you are just using ear phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement