Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What movies did people get you?

Options
  • 26-12-2005 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

What DVDs if any did people get you this Christmas?

My gf got me "I spit on your grave" and "Old Boy".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I Spit on Your Grave is rotten. Horrible movie.

I got Bosco, Wanderly Wagon, Monty Python's Meaning of Life, The Spongebob Movie and the Toy Story boxed set. Pleased enough with the haul... There's others i'd have wanted more but that's what vouchers from Uncles and Aunts are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Got Collateral, which i already have, from a brother.

Got that 2-disc set of Downfall from my sister, which im really looking forward to watching.

And Will Ferrell's Kicking & Screaming :confused: from my other brother, which came with a rather spiffing Kicking & Screaming digital watch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No films as such, but I did get Ricky Gervais Live 2: Politics, Marty Friedman - 99 Secret Lead Guitar Phrases, and Stargate Season 7. Not a bad little haul I think. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I got The Warriors, and the toy story box set, both awesomely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

got to laurel and hardy classics, way out west and sons of the desert, snatch, shaun of the dead (which i already had lol), billy connolly's new one, the best of will ferrell on saturday night live (i didnt stop laughing for an hour!) and best of all, the complete Blackadder..

should keep me going for a week..

• Advertisement

Roar wrote:
    the best of will ferrell on saturday night live (i didnt stop laughing for an hour!)
    You, me... Staring contest..................... You win, you always do. Nature! Goulet!

Lodgepole wrote:
    You, me... Staring contest..................... You win, you always do. Nature! Goulet!

i thought the Jeopardy sketch was the funniest thing i've seen in yonks... turd ferguson...

Roar wrote:
    i thought the Jeopardy sketch was the funniest thing i've seen in yonks... turd ferguson...
    Is it one disc or two over here? I got the two volumes while I lived in Canada. Second volume isn't as good but there's some real gold on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Clerks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I got Gangs Of New York and Usual Suspects off my mates. I got none others, but others in my family got loads

• Advertisement

Lodgepole wrote:
    Is it one disc or two over here? I got the two volumes while I lived in Canada. Second volume isn't as good but there's some real gold on it too.

just a one discer, vol 1.. vol 2 is region 1 only afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I got an antique poster of The House Of Exorcism with Telly "Kojak" Savalas.

I also got a €40 HMV Gift Card which I'll go and spend on DVDs tomorrow. I'll need halp getting the 18s films though. I never get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Original King Kong
    Jeremy Clarkson: Heaven & Hell
    Nightmare Before Christmas

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i got The Goonies, Batman Begins, Firefly season boxset and star wars: clone wars vol2. plus a gift voucher for xtra-vision...yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Land of the Dead director's cut, still haven't seen it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I was hoping for The Warriors director's cut, I Spit On Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, The Descent or A Clockwork Orange, but the boyfriend isn't the best with hints so I got Mean Streets and Memento (3 disc version). I'm not complaining, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Revenge of the Sith was my only movie - but some lovely person also gave me Firefly S1 and Battlestar Galactica 2004 S1.

And I almost forgot - my girlfriend gave me the 007 tin - all 20 DVDs. There's a hell of alot of watching in the days ahead. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

near perfect films, good commentary track on the first one, none on the second :(, but did get two eps of the REAL ghostbuster cartoon, which was as good as I remembered it being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

All I got was Toy Story! That was all! Shocking. But then, I wasn't expecting many this year, as I usually tell people exactly what to get me and I'm thus able to predict my pressies pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erceefce

'Donnie Brasco' with Al Pacino and johnny Depp is a nice movie :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got 'Dawn of the Dead (2004)', 'Spellbound', and 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I went out today and, using some of the money I got for Christmas, bought Natural Born Killers (Uncut), Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Blow and Dune (Special Edition). All for only €43 too. :)

Bought the new 3 disc Frighteners and Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket with my vouchers today.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I didn't get any movies, just Billy Connolly's Live in New York. But meh, I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

None. :(

So I had to get myself the Original Star Wars Trilogy 4 disc box set.
    I got the Naked Gun Trilogy for my brother though.
    Rediculous films. Awesome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Lodgepole wrote:
    Bought the new 3 disc Frighteners
    Good grief, the packaging on that is so awful. Three disks, stacked on top of each other? Surely there's a better way of doing that, one that won't result in scratched disks?

Also - couldn't they have just printed a "DISK 1/2/3" on the actual disk, instead of having to use the various serial numbers to distinguish them? Took me ages to figure out which one was the actual movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Got Land Of The Dead and Bottom Series 3 with some vouchers.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Good grief, the packaging on that is so awful. Three disks, stacked on top of each other? Surely there's a better way of doing that, one that won't result in scratched disks?

Also - couldn't they have just printed a "DISK 1/2/3" on the actual disk, instead of having to use the various serial numbers to distinguish them? Took me ages to figure out which one was the actual movie.
    Yeah it was disapointing wasn't it? I'm going to have to come up with some better way of storing the discs. Maybe find an old game box that has three slots.

On the plus side the extra features are quite nice. Interesting to see them knowing how long ago they were produced and how they were something of a precursor to the special features we're used to now. The best part is Peter Jackson insisting that the real director's cut is his theatrical version and calling the special edition a "fun feature" despite the box's claims that it's PETER JACKSON'S DIRECTOR'S CUT! not once but twice. Still a good set.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I didn't get any DVDs as gifts this year... all I really got were socks... bleh.

But this evening I did buy myself a copy of Crime Wave which is an early Sam Rami film that was writen by the Coen Brothers. I haven't seen it in years and I'm hoping it's as funny as I remember it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I got Star Wars Episode 3 (not a fan of it really), Trading places, Mystic River, Bone Collector, U2 Vertigo tour and the band of brothers box set.

Also €40 vouchers to buy more!

Advertisement