Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 7800GTX and the overclocking triumph (maybe?)!!

Options
  • 24-12-2005 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

And so - took an OEM 7800GTX out fo a Dell XPS600 and stuck it on a ASUS A8N SLI deluxe... stuck in the registry mod for forceware drivers and clocked it...

Stock was 430 core and 1.2ghz mem

It clocked to 477mhz/1.29ghz... giving me and additional 600 point sin 3dMark 05... final score (with some memory clocking) was 8412...

So anyways - I'm all pleased with myself - that seems like a huge overclock on the GFX card for me - is it? Or do most cards clock that high? My mate bought an XFX that ran at 475/1.25 adn that only clocked to 488/1.27...

What kinda speeds have other people got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Hmm.. well i cant speak for the GTX but i have a 7800GT that overclocks to 495mhz and 1.17ghz. so i would say that its an average overclock,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

.... I don't know how the differences apply to different cards etc...

another mate clocked his from 490/1.3 stock to 513/1.34... 3Dmark05 for him was 9005... sickened....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dell use below sub-par parts, so you'll never get an amazing overclock from them.

dell use below sub-par parts, so you'll never get an amazing overclock from them.

on the figures above, I'm getting over 10% on core and just about 8% on memory using A dell card - my mate is getting barely 4% on an XFX card - your statement doesnt seem to hold a whole lot of water? What I'm trying to find out is if what IS a decent level of overclock? What kind of percentage should I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It does if Dell's card is starting at an artificially low point because they use sub-par components.

• Advertisement

Forget its a dell...

most 7800GTX cards are sold as 430mhz/1.2ghz - this one was no different and that was the core speeds b4 clocking it- but it clocks to 477mhz/1.29ghz totally stable.

The question - what should I expect to be able to overclock to? What have other people overclocked stock 7800GTX cards to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My 430mhz spec 7800GTX easily OC'd to 500

From what I have seen most of the 430mhz cards clock as high as the OC ones, you just have to void your warranty for the same performance. But there is no ppint paying extra for an OC GTX (256MB anyway).

And they all have exactly the same mem chips anyway.

Inqui

nice one

another question - should I try and push it further than what the coolbits mod assigns it in optimal settings? And if I do should I push the core speed until I get artifacts and then drop back and then push the memory? Or the other way around? Or should I not push it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

nice one

another question - should I try and push it further than what the coolbits mod assigns it in optimal settings? And if I do should I push the core speed until I get artifacts and then drop back and then push the memory? Or the other way around? Or should I not push it at all?

if i were u i'd push it to within an inch of its life.... but thats just me :)
    what cooling is on it??
    TBH your overclock is about average... your mates one doesnt overclock much because it is already technically overclocked when he bought it. some manufacturers just oc a card and sell it for more so the user doesnt have too, lol
    push it further mate.. sure why not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

djmarkus wrote:
    Hmm.. well i cant speak for the GTX but i have a 7800GT that overclocks to 495mhz and 1.17ghz. so i would say that its an average overclock,

GTs arent GTXs now are they?

My GTX runs at 460MHz Core and 1.26GHz Mem, I would say that Im getting an "average" overclock. I do have a lot of "hot" components around it tho (SCSI controller and SCSI drive put out about 58c each, not to mention other stuff).

The Dell card has an SLI connector too Bolouswki yeah?

For what its worth I dont think any high end card is different than another, its a volume business.. to go out of your way to try to make it cheaper would actually cost more. AFAIK, Dell dont make anything like this anyhow, they simply source them from well known OEMs. My $800 Dell PERC SCSI card is actually a rebadged LSI card.. this "Dell source sub par components" is pretty ignorant BS.

Matt

PS: I know its the 25th, I swear Im going to talk to my family now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can I just ask why you feel the need to push a 7800GTX??
    Don't risk your lovely card going *melt-melt* if it's running so high already; or get some water-cooling... :D

Matt Simis wrote:

For what its worth I dont think any high end card is different than another, its a volume business.. to go out of your way to try to make it cheaper would actually cost more. AFAIK, Dell dont make anything like this anyhow, they simply source them from well known OEMs. My $800 Dell PERC SCSI card is actually a rebadged LSI card.. this "Dell source sub par components" is pretty ignorant BS.

Its a volume business and as such, the quality of each yield varies alot. The chips with the minimum number of flays are the premium components while the chips below this are what go into the normal cards.

Unsubstantiated rumours are that Dell etc buy the cards with higher than average number of flaws (still within acceptable levels and work perfectly well at what they are meant to run) for a massive discount..

Matt Simis wrote:
    GTs arent GTXs now are they?

My GTX runs at 460MHz Core and 1.26GHz Mem, I would say that Im getting an "average" overclock.

The GT has 20 pipelines while the GTX has 24 pipelines.. My 6800 Ultra in my laptop has the same Samsung memory that went in to the 7800GTX and I can get 1300 MHz...

For the stupid question - overclocking makes a massive different when its needed..

Can I just ask why you feel the need to push a 7800GTX??

Because it's there? :D

but seriously - this is my first real substantiated push into overclocking so I'm just trying to see what is the best performance I can get without either borking the system or spending a million eurons...

The cooler on the dell card is as long as your arm - its totally gigantic so I'm imagining it will cool ok - has a standard 80mm fan in the centre (no filter though - damn trailing wires....)

From the qualified responses here, its eems 477/1.29 is not bad at all - and i'm hoping to push it further - what warning signs should I watch out for when pushing it? Smoke and flames? :D or will I jsut get artifacts and should turn off straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Artifacts = stop, go lower, test again (prob do some 24hr testing).
    Smoke & flames = bye bye GTX.

I guess there's no point convincing someone to stop when their reason is "Because I can"... Have fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Have fun! :D

this is the main reason to do it, hehehe

exactly as what was said though. when it starts artifacting drop back maybe 10-15 mhz and retest for a good while, it doesnt matter what u overclock first (mem or core), i usually start with core then do mem after, when you think you have got your completly stable clocks, test with a 3d intensive game or benchmark for a few hours.

brilliant! thanks guys! will post a final score once i've put the flames out :eek:

Advertisement