Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merry X'mas to all

Options
  • 24-12-2005 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas to all on the forum from the Buddhist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Merry Christmas! ...

and on a Christmas note I just read this on the consumerist
    Until the Civil War Christmas was but scantily observed. Most shockingly, retailers hardly seemed to take notice of the occasion. Historians report that the pages of the New York Tribune in 1841 did not contain a single example of advertising with a Christmas theme. It wasn’t until after the Civil War that retailers began experimenting with special Christmas sales. Once they did, however, it didn’t take long for them to discover the commercial possibilities offered by the holiday. By 1970 December had become the merchants’ single largest selling month of the year.

Quote from Richard Shenkman’s Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of American History

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Y'all have a good one!

I will be freezing my heathen bones in the 40 foot tomorrow in Dun Laoghaire - consider it confession for atheists!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A merry and thoroughly decadent Saturnalia to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

pH wrote:
    Merry Christmas! ...

and on a Christmas note I just read this on the consumerist

is this a reflection on corrupting capitialistism or human beings needing little excuse for piss up :)

Advertisement