Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell warranty

Options
  • 23-12-2005 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Well this might be a bit of a stupid question but here goes. I'm going to buy a dell laptop pretty soon and was wondering about the standard warranty. If i sellect the 1 Year CAR service, does that mean the warranty lasts only for the year? Because it does not make sense to me to pay around €200 odd for a 3-Year Repair service. Do they offer 3 Year Warranty as standard regardless of cover option selected?
    Thanks for help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

No, 12 months is standard. For a laptop especially, I'd recommend the 3yr 'return-to-base' — you'd be amazed how many problems can develop in month 13 (esp. screen).

Otherwise maybe wait for the next Lidl/Aldi offering — 3yr 'no-quibble' as standard. Makes them even better value than they already are! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Only 12 Months warranty?? You sure? That kinda sucks. Screen problems-you mean dead pixels?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only 12 Months warranty?? You sure? That kinda sucks. Screen problems-you mean dead pixels?
    not as sucky as the 90 day warranty option

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It depends on what you wana go for.

If you look after your laptop and dell gave you a decent one (most problems will occur in the first couple of weeks) then a 12 month warranty should be fine.

Other wise for peace of mind (and if you can afford it) go for the 2 year one (I replace my computers every 2 years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I'd recomment going for the 1 year car and then if you like just call the warranty deparment in dell and extend the warranty for up to 5 years when the first year is nearly up, depending on how confident that you are that the system will fail or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

The above sounds the most inspired i might do that! Good idea

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

might as well check the cost of the extra years now - may be a lot cheaper to buy up front. If not then wait till later.

Advertisement