Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black Magician Trilogy

Options
  • 23-12-2005 4:31pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I was bored and as you do, I went into town yester eve and picked up a lovely random hardback trilogy that I have never heard of - as is my passion.
    In this case it is The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan(while a friend got the tenth year anniversay additions of His Dark Materials, looks damn good but oh so expensive...) which comprises of
    The Magicians' Guild,
    The Novice,
    The Overlord.
    They look quite good to me from just flicking though and while in the shop I said that at least if they are crap they look damn cool for my shelf. The woman in the shop overheard and said they were damn good.
    I want a second opinion dear people, what did those of you that have read them make of them?
    Good and bad points, something to ponder as I read them.
    Also any good books along those lines I should check out.
    It says something on the inside of the book about it being in the style of Nix's 'Sabriel' so I will start from there if these are in fact good books.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well worth the read ! enjoyable story and some good characters... enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I'm reading it now. I'm on "The Novice". So far, I would say it's good, even though it's not the best series I've read.

Oh... and isn't the last book called "The High Lord"? That's the name of mine, anyway... hehe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh... and isn't the last book called "The High Lord"? That's the name of mine, anyway... hehe.
    I must have some sort of special edition, yes that will do :)
    Anyway, read the trilogy and thought it most excellent, most excellent indeed.
    Really got a good feel for the characters...
    Anyway now I've just read a game of thrones -g.r.r. martin
    the first book of the a song of ice and fire series. It's great and I suggest it for all as I dig into the second one.

Do you know if the author has written any other books/series? I was just curious, because if I like an author's work, I like to read more of their stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

She is currently working on another trilogy, Age of the Five, which she says is inspired by wondering 'what it would be like if gods like those in Greek/Roman mythology, who were prone to fall in love with mortals and express human emotions like anger and jealousy, existed'.
    Looks good I think.

She has a book out called future worlds and...

MORE KYRALIA BOOKS ARE ON THE WAY!
    The Magician’s Apprentice
    (Prequel to the Black Magician Trilogy)

Kyralia is home to many magicians and their apprentices. Tessia dreams only of following in her father's footsteps, but women do not become Healers and all she can hope for is to become an assistant. When her father is visiting their town’s Magician, Tessia is cornered by a visiting Sachakan magician who assumes he can treat Kyralian servants like the women slaves of his homeland. In fighting him off, she manifests a natural magical ability.

Tessia must become an apprentice magician or she will be exiled to protect the village from her uncontrolled powers. As she learns, Sachakan magicians intent on reclaiming the lands their empire once ruled make increasingly vicious attacks on Kyralian and Elyne villages, and Tessia finds both her skills as a magician and healer are in demand. And as the Magicians of Kyralia come together to defend their land, all wonder how they can possibly win a war against the powerful and ancient Sachakan Empire.

The Traitor Spy Trilogy
    (Sequel to the Black Magician Trilogy)

Book 1: The Ambassadors’ Mission
    Book 2: The Rogue
    Book 3: The Traitor Queen

Sonea is horrified when her son, a year past graduation, volunteers to join a group of Guild Ambassadors traveling to Sachaka. When word comes that he has gone missing she is desperate to search for him, but she cannot leave without breaking the law that prevents black magicians from leaving Imardin.

When Cery comes to her for help after most of his family has been murdered, she learns that the Thieves have been waging a deadly underworld war for several years. Suspicious deaths have the Guild worrying that rogue magicians may be involved.

Gillia, a novice from the servant class, is mostly ignored in the wars between low and high class novices. She and her best friend are more interested in hidden knowledge. When her friend finds books on black magic they both can’t resist experimenting.

And Lorkin, Sonea and Akkarin’s son, learns that the black magicians of Sachaka are not the only dangerous and secretive power within that ancient and wasted land.

Here are books she reccommends,
    http://www.trudicanavan.com/abouttrudi.php?pg=recommendedreading

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Amazon recommended those to me yesterday...must have a look see in the library to see if they have the first one by any chance.

Sounds great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Wow - she has the next few years planed out :)

Loved the trilogy and look forward to picking up some of these other books

• Advertisement

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Wow - she has the next few years planed out :)

Loved the trilogy and look forward to picking up some of these other books

She has to ensure the money is flowing in!

I'll be picking them up too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Just to let people know that her new book, Priestess of the White, has come out in Easons and is on special at 11 euro hardback - now time to read it :)

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Just to let people know that her new book, Priestess of the White, has come out in Easons and is on special at 11 euro hardback - now time to read it :)
    Thanks man, I'll buy it tomorrow, how is it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've just start The Black Magician trilogy, it's seems to be starting off quite well. It's good to see that other people have enjoyed it. :)

I read a couple of reviews of that new series, Priestess of the White and they seemed to think that it wasn't as good as the Black Magician books.

I've just start The Black Magician trilogy, it's seems to be starting off quite well. It's good to see that other people have enjoyed it. :)

I read a couple of reviews of that new series, Priestess of the White and they seemed to think that it wasn't as good as the Black Magician books.
    I hope you enjoy them! I read them in three days travelling on the bus, had a fantastic time! They are sitting beside my bed, must start them again actually.
    Hope it is to your taste, I'm excited about this new one...yes, I get excited about books, hopefully the critics will be eating their words. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The cover of one caught my eye in Waterstones there recently, and after reading this thread, I think that I'll definitely be giving them a go

Bah, I hate when people buy books I reccommend. If they don't like them I feel responsible.
    Hopefully you will like them.

Advertisement