Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dictionary definitions of atheism.

Options
  • 23-12-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

In a section of this weeks James Randi's commentary is a reader objecting the the definition of atheism found in The American Heritage Dictionary

a•the•ism n. 1. a. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods. b. The doctrine that there is no God or gods. 2. Godlessness; immorality.

Obviously he doesn't like the immoral implication but he's also perturbed about the use of the word 'denial', implying somehow that 'atheists are in denial'.

So how about some other dictionaries?

www.webster.com
    a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity
    Seems to go out of their way not to mention God at all!

dictionary.com

1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.
    2. Godlessness; immorality.

Obviously a dictionary should be without opinions or editorial slant. No one would agree that say Islam should be defined starting with 'A mistaken belief that God told mohahmed .... '

So is the word denial offensive to atheists? I presume that one can deny something which is false, and that 'denying' something doesn't imply that it is true and the denier is incorrect?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Good post!

I don't see the problem with the word denial. Atheism only exists as a "doctine" to deny the assertion that there is a god. Denying something exists in no way suggests that there is in fact something to deny... if you follow me.

If I am accused of murder, but deny it, am I guilty? We don't know because obviously it depends completely on other evidence - the denial itself is useless in arriving at the truth.

Similarly with an atheist who denies the existance of god, the existance or not of said god depends entirely on other evidence (of lack of as the case may be).

Any issue possibly comes down to an incorrect association with the term "in denial" - which suggests that the element in question is real.

I prefer this version that turns the tables somewhat:

"Atheism is a refusal to deny the obvious".

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> "Atheism is a refusal to deny the obvious".

What about:

Atheism is a religion which says that the world is exactly what it seems to be.

:)

Advertisement