Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

... Brussels?

Options
  • 21-12-2005 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm off to Brussels on the 23rd of January with 21 mates, arriving early on the Monday and returning late on Wednesday, basically a glorified piss-up. If anyone has any recommendations of places to eat/drink etc... I'd be delighted to hear them. Also, is it true that there are 24 hour bars :eek: ? Any info from people who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    JoeSoap. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Eat sprouts

Im so sorry.. I couldnt resist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not sure if there's 24 hour bars, but some bars will simply stay open til the last punters leave. Though you might be 'encouraged' by the poor barman dying to get home!!!

Le Grand Place (the main square) is fairly spectacular. Not sure what else there is to do, but it's a great place to go for a session! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

FAO xzanti

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bars open about 12, close about 0845!

Serious pish up ahead of you, don't have any names of places, but my friend moved over there last year, and she said it's unreal. There's an irish bar... Can't remember the name for the life of me, but bottles of stella are a Euro each in there... :D

If I'm talking to her in the mean time, I'll get some pub names for ye! :)

I think I'm headin over a few days after ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nice one! Bottles for a Euro... oh my lord. I just hope I don't overdo it.

Any chance you could find out about the Brussels healthcare system? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Fajitas! wrote:
    There's an irish bar... Can't remember the name for the life of me, but bottles of stella are a Euro each in there... :D

That would be Celtica, near the grand place. Great place, not too Irish-y, just a nice bar with cheap drink and a discobar thing upstairs. Happy hour from 12pm to midnight!

Was only there for 2.5 days so looked around at EU Parliment, walked the streets, enjoyed the grand place, and drank the nice Belgian beers.

Oh - wrap up well, was quite cold when I was there (November).

Enjoy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Go up to the EU parliament buildings and walk down the streets for ages until you come to the centre of town. May take 40 mins or so, but on the way you will see alot. Actually, start at a hotel called the Montogomery... and walk towards town... it will take an hour... you will pass a big park... called the JFK park I think (its 2 years since I was there), plus some big buildings in the middle. I was there Jan 19th 2 years ago... really nice city... feels like Dublin with French / Flemish influence.

There is a big irish pub on the edge of some type of China town district. It could be called O'Reillys, seemed like a decent place.

Also, check out the Mannequinn Piss statue in the backstreets not too far from the main square.

Sorry I cannot be more precise, its been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I would avoid O'Reilly's and O'Reilly's Nua, they can be fairly rough. Infact it is there where all the trouble was the year of the European Championships in Brussels. I would advise Celtica as the place to go for an Irish bar, but try some more out and let us know!

Been reading up a bit on it recently and apparently there are EIGHTEEN Irish bars! I'm trying to get away from this place!!!

Ah I'm sure we'll end up checking them out, and I'll make sure Celtica gets a visit. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I went In January a few years back, you'l end up in Celtica every night as their is nowhere else to go unfortunately and its not bad but nothing fantastic,good for an easy score with an Au Pair, also found the streets are full of dodgy people lurking on corners at night, always travel in your group and dont walk around alone,being serious here!

• Advertisement

Haha, I was there on Monday and Tuesday and was in Celtica both nights, only for 10 minutes the second night though. We ended up in O'Reillys the second night and managed to get ourselves a lock-in until 7am, which was class. It was a great trip, mainly because there were 21 of us though, I doubt it would be much craic with just a few people.

For a country with pride in their beers they don't really drink that much!

Totally agree about the shifty guys on corners, its a really seedy and shifty city.

Advertisement