Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sorting in JFilechooser based on properties?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

edanto wrote:
    I found a page that mentioned 'Swing' (whatever that is)
    You're using it. JFileChooser is a class in Swing, which is a graphical toolkit for Java. Its been a standard part of Java for some time now (since 1.4, I think, though it could be as early as 1.3).

The issue was not solved in Java 1.5, as it is still listed as of 2002 as an RFE (Request for Enhancement) and scheduled for inclusion in a "major release", according to the bug report, and comments to that effect on the page are from as late as October 2005.

BTW, if this is for work, you may wish to inform your boss that you need Java training. If this is college or hobbiest, you need to read more about Java. You also need to take the time to read what you Google, as all the answers were right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Cheers for clarifying swing.

About the bug report, I wasn't sure if there had been any 'major releases' since Oct 05, so I thought I'd post here and ask people that use Java.

Me, the little I know about Java, I've found out in the past two days as we're getting some developers to build some lab software for us. I can't ask them right now, since they're asleep, and I wanted to have an answer about this for a meeting now.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still not clear on why the screenshots (second link) in J1.4.2 Beta look like they can do what I want but the functionality still isn't there in J1.5 and hence the post. But if it can't be done, that's the answer I was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Swing allows people to import their own "Looks and Feel", or add ons that determine how window elements look and respond. The L&F used in the screenshots would have been customised to be able to work the way you want.

Perfect - that's great to know. I'd say I can ask my developers to use some part of a L&F kit to sort out the problem.
    Thanks very much.

Turns out that even though it has the look of the XP file dialogue box, it doesn't give the functionality.

I found a guy in the states that has a bit of code to fix it though. I'll see how it works out, but he thinks he can help.

• Advertisement

Problem fixed - latest release of Java will no longer have this problem

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4752713

Advertisement