Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to seal the ends/sides of a roof?

Options
  • 21-12-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all (rooferPete;) )
    While painting my house I noticed that the cement that runs along the edge of our tiles is craked and broken and is probably letting the driving rain into the fascia/soffit/felt.

Is there a new/better way to seal this up?
    I have seen a pvc/plastic end tile thing that covers the gap like

C--
    but Im not sure if the work for ridged/curved tiles.

What does anyone else do, on a new build for example?
    I nearly feel like using expanding foam and just painting it black, at least it wont fall out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

GreeBo wrote:
    Hey all (rooferPete;) )
    While painting my house I noticed that the cement that runs along the edge of our tiles is craked and broken and is probably letting the driving rain into the fascia/soffit/felt.

Is there a new/better way to seal this up?
    I have seen a pvc/plastic end tile thing that covers the gap like

C--
    but Im not sure if the work for ridged/curved tiles.

What does anyone else do, on a new build for example?
    I nearly feel like using expanding foam and just painting it black, at least it wont fall out.

If the cement is lime based then you have to use scrimbling blocks which are sunk 3 feet into the wall plate; otherwise you will risk severe sniding from the snargeboards later on. I know the feeling with the expanding foam.
    I get similar urges regularly with duck/duct tape.

Happy Christmas
    Des

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Desmo wrote:
    If the cement is lime based then you have to use scrimbling blocks which are sunk 3 feet into the wall plate; otherwise you will risk severe sniding from the snargeboards later on. I know the feeling with the expanding foam.
    I get similar urges regularly with duck/duct tape.

Happy Christmas
    Des

Well with a post like that, Rooferpetes position as the resident expert is safe.

Priceless

kadman:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Greebo,

What they do on some new builds today would probably make your verge look like the work of an Artisan.

A very good but what can appear expensive product is Flexim, well worth the extra money for a one off house or job like you describe.

The "Dry Verge" systems are very good when done properly but usually involve some base work when setting out the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can vouch for Flexim, great product but as Pete says a little pricey, I paid €100 a box of which my roof took 2.7 boxes for the ridge tiles alone.
    comes in a few colours including black.
    it gives a very strong suction effect on the ridgetiles so I would imagine that it would stick the barged end tiles down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

great, thanks for the help guys
    so I guess I need to poke out the cement thats there and then just butter in the flexim?
    Or do I need to raise then end tiles and bed them in or anything?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try and raise them then put a good bead of flexim under the tile before you push it down.
    It comes with a tube of Tar that you are supposed to run over the flexim after it is smoothed with a putty knife.
    One thing there are some cheap gloves supplied, throw them away and buy a pair of strong washup gloves in your size.Flexim is sticky stuff and you will probably end up wearing a fair bit.

Advertisement