Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downfall - Sheer Brilliance!

Options
  • 21-12-2005 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

i decided to watch it last night after work and oh how i regret not seeing it in the cinema. what a movie. the acting was brialliant all the way through and the story was brilliantly executed. anyone who hasnt seen this movie go watch it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

All going well Santy is going to get it for me. I saw it on More4 there a while back and I agree it was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's an excellent movie. Think there has been several threads on it in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Saw a DVD copy knocking about one of my local shops, and been hearing a lot of good things about it, so I might just grab myself a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I saw it the night before my German Oral Exam last year. Great film altogether! Shame it didn't improve my German though, fecking C1, poo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

An exceptional film, saw it twice in the cinema. Difficult to watch at times but compelling. The acting is brilliant, Goebbels and his wife, psychos! Some of the death scenes are hard to watch
    Seeing the kids being sedated then finished off wasn't easy, like watching them die twice, then another family later at the dinner table...almost too much.

You really see the decline in the man though (Hitler) and the bunker scenes really add to the sense of claustrophobia.

Film of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I agree entirely... I was absolutely rocked by this movie, and not in a "war is bad. Boo hoo." kind of way, but in a really genuine sense. I can't define it too well - but I felt like - for weeks after - I had been in that bunker with them. The sense of claustrophobia was unbelievable. Scared the hell out of me.

Personally, one of my films of the year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Its an excellent movie if Bruno Ganz was American he would have won best actor no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I think that either
    1. I saw a different movie from everyone else, or
    2. People are having real trouble distinguishing an 'important' movie from a 'good' movie

What I saw was an overwrought, ham-fisted biopic that, as my girlfriend put it, essentially consisted of two and a half hours of people shrieking at each other in German. It's interesting as a curio, since it's virtually the only film (that I know of, anyway) that deals with this subject.

Disappointing. And certainly not deserving of the insane amounts of praise being lavished upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well I thoroughly enjoyed but its probably because of a keen interest in WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

Ya great film, powerful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement