Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD region question

Options
  • 21-12-2005 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about Australian DVDs - are they region 3?

Will a region 2 DVD play out in Australia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Austrlia is DVD region 4.
    No; you need a region-free player or a region 2 DVD player..
    You may be able to change the firmware for your DVD player (or if using a PC, you can get software to decrypt the encoding/ignore the region)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Thanks.

I think the DVD I have was encoded as region-free anyway but I thought I'd check before sending it down under.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I bought some DVDs in Tower the other day and they rather strangely turned out to be region 4 for some reason.

Not a big problem though as all my DVD players are region free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Thanks.

I think the DVD I have was encoded as region-free anyway but I thought I'd check before sending it down under.

*shrug*
    DVDShrink it and send a backup region-free copy along with it.. that's fair use IMHO (if we're talking commerical DVD). Or if you want higher quality, DVD Decryptor,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Region 2 and 4 are interchangable I believe. I know I have several that are both regions. They're definitely PAL video anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think it depends on the DVD. Some are dual encoded, but not all of them.

Advertisement